Beer Description Terminology

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupThePup

Reaction score
When an inexperienced person reads a description of a beer they are often mislead with the terms used to describe the taste/mouthfeel of the beer. In an effort to clear this up I'm trying to compile a list of descriptive terms often overstated, misunderstood or overused.

For example, if a beer description says sweet, creamy, vanilla it may be misconstrued that it's going to taste like a cream soda (and it may to some extent)...

What are the best definitions of these terms in the context of the beer world?

Creamy:

Thick:

Sweet:

Hoppy:

Any others?

When an inexperienced person reads a description of a beer they are often mislead with the terms used to describe the taste/mouthfeel of the beer. In an effort to clear this up I'm trying to compile a list of descriptive terms often overstated, misunderstood or overused.

For example, if a beer description says sweet, creamy, vanilla it may be misconstrued that it's going to taste like a cream soda (and it may to some extent)...

What are the best definitions of these terms in the context of the beer world?

A smoothness in the texture of the beer, often created by the ingredients used, such as oats, but sometimes attributed to the use of nitrogen when serving.

Syrupy is often used instead of thick, and generally noted with big beers like Barleywine .

Sweet is relative. It's tasted against the roast and/or hop bitterness.

Some people think this is the bitterness, but it's better described as the flavor of the hops. It's easy to bitter a beer without having any noticeable hop flavor, and a bit more work to bring out the flavor of the hops without over bittering.

Any others?
I'd read Randy Mosher's book, Tasting Beer, for more insight. There are variations in how different people perceive and describe what they taste. Mosher's book is only very informational, it's well written and a joy on it's own.

To piggyback, can someone tell what a sweaty horseblanket actually smells like? :)

The best way to know this is to visit a horse barn. Maybe look for a 4-H club hosting a riding event or something.

I was surprised to find that aroma in a beer offered by a Jolly Pumpkin brewer in a seminar I went to a few years ago. There was no mistaking it. Decent beer, though I'm not much into most Begians, it was good enough that I drank my friend's glass.

Now there are some smells to avoid in your belgian beer.
:D

Oh, I'm familiar enough with the funk. Just having a bit of fun.

But back to the topic, has anyone heard news on the BJCP Vocab project? Seems I heard they were trying to take this on a while back...

Back