taste for hefe slightly off, what is it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Improv241

Reaction score
So I tested my first all grain batch today and I was fairly happy, but something was off.

I would say it tasted "watery".

Now, I had over carbed this beer and had to "de-carb" with the CO2 on the outlet approach, but I'm thinking I may have made the beer too flat. The head is minimal (disappears in 20 seconds), even when serving with 15 psi.

Is it possible for beer to taste watery if the carbonation is too low. Can I force carb it back? (hope so because I pumped the gas up to 28 tonight and will check it tomorrow afternoon).

Improv241 said:
So I tested my first all grain batch today and I was fairly happy, but something was off.

I would say it tasted "watery".

Now, I had over carbed this beer and had to "de-carb" with the CO2 on the outlet approach, but I'm thinking I may have made the beer too flat. The head is minimal (disappears in 20 seconds), even when serving with 15 psi.

Is it possible for beer to taste watery if the carbonation is too low. Can I force carb it back? (hope so because I pumped the gas up to 28 tonight and will check it tomorrow afternoon).

One of the first batches I made came out watery. Overtime, it thickened up. Give it a little longer and it will work out

What was your OG? Mash temp? Grain bill?

Sorry for the delayed response, I was entertaining all weekend. Thanks for any tips. Side note, when I first tasted it, it was around 45-50F and that's when it tasted watery. The next day, when serving it around 38F it tasted better.

4 lbs Pale Malt
4 lbs Wheat Malt
8 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Munich Malt

Mash temp was 165-167F.

Measured OG 1.040
Measured FG 1.011

Used 8 oz of pure cane sugar for carbing in keg.

Back