Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 or 9. Depends if you count the coworkers who say "5 gallons? You gotta slow down!" as "Has a relative or friend, or a doctor or other health care worker, expressed concern about your drinking and suggest you cut down?" Since they're talking about production amounts I'm going to have to say that "No" is a more accurate answer.

Just so we're clear, when they ask: "Has a relative or friend, or a doctor or other health care worker, expressed concern about your drinking and suggest you cut down?", that doesn't include wives, right?

I'm seriously thinking about walking around the craft beer sections in some liquor stores and just regurgitating some of the funny stuff y'all have heard and stuff inspired but such nonsense. "It gets stronger in alcohol as it ages" "It's pronounced Eepah" "I don't like Blue Moon or other dark beers" "Stout is not a beer! It's an ale." "If you cut the top off a can of Guinness, it will come out in chunks that you can cut." "I don't like hoppy beers like Blue Moon (as I'm picking up a IIPA)"

I'm seriously thinking about walking around the craft beer sections in some liquor stores and just regurgitating some of the funny stuff y'all have heard and stuff inspired but such nonsense. "It gets stronger in alcohol as it ages" "It's pronounced Eepah" "I don't like Blue Moon or other dark beers" "Stout is not a beer! It's an ale." "If you cut the top off a can of Guinness, it will come out in chunks that you can cut." "I don't like hoppy beers like Blue Moon (as I'm picking up a IIPA)"

You may be onto some good video there.

Having a couple of cold ones with my brother in Orlando...
My brother: "Guinness is not even a beer, it's a Stout"
Me: WTF???:drunk:

PS if you read the article about health concerns and still drinking. .... what a bunch of crap. That doesn't mean that you have a problem at all some of us are just realists and know that everyone is going to die and you might as well have fun doing things that make you happy on your way. I don't understand the need to live till your 110. If I am not able to get around and take care of myself I don't want to keep living. After almost 6 months of barely being able to take care of myself that is one thing that has definitely been reenforced in my mind. Pull the plug!

Easy to say, but both of my parents got into health situations where there was no "pull the plug" option and it has created significant burden for the rest of us to take care of them. Crazy stressful, and I'm pretty pissed at my parents for being too selfish to save money, have insurance, etc.

I'm not saying that you're doing the same as my parents. But just remember there is a lot of space between your independence and a point where there is a plug that can be pulled, and in that space, you need support. If you don't prepare for that, then you WILL become a massive burden on your loved ones. Plain and simple.

Easy to say, but both of my parents got into health situations where there was no "pull the plug" option and it has created significant burden for the rest of us to take care of them. Crazy stressful, and I'm pretty pissed at my parents for being too selfish to save money, have insurance, etc.

I'm not saying that you're doing the same as my parents. But just remember there is a lot of space between your independence and a point where there is a plug that can be pulled, and in that space, you need support. If you don't prepare for that, then you WILL become a massive burden on your loved ones. Plain and simple.

Oh we have insurance my wife has insisted if it weren't for her I wouldn't have or have any family to speak of either so that wouldn't be an issue. Since my accident Ithink it has been upped also

I'm gonna call bull**** on that quiz - it seems rather fishy that the hand-wavy "almost alcoholic" zone is, point-wise, three times the size of the "high risk" and "social drinking" zones. The whole thing seems like it's inherently set up to peddle this "almost alcoholic" idea (and a book to go with it!) in a way that seems less about people's health and more about the author's career/personal axe-grinding.

I'm gonna call bull**** on that quiz - it seems rather fishy that the hand-wavy "almost alcoholic" zone is, point-wise, three times the size of the "high risk" and "social drinking" zones. The whole thing seems like it's inherently set up to peddle this "almost alcoholic" idea (and a book to go with it!) in a way that seems less about people's health and more about the author's career/personal axe-grinding.

But I read it on the Internet.

Sent from somewhere to someone

I get your point, but I think it just meant that at least one of your answers indicated "at-risk" behavior, which is a big grey area. In my case, I answered "less than once per month" on the one about drinking preventing you from following through on plans. Now, it was more along the lines of "meh, I don't feel like cutting the grass right now, I'll have another beer" rather than "****, I'm too drunk to go to work again."

Upon arriving to work...

Boss to Sales Guy, "Yea I just went downtown for a few last night. They had Flower Power on tap at least."

Me, "I could go for one of those right now!"

Sales Guy looking disgusted, "Its 8am..."

Upon arriving to work...

Boss to Sales Guy, "Yea I just went downtown for a few last night. They had Flower Power on tap at least."

Well F you then sales guy. If I'm awake and thirsty, anything is free game.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well F you then sales guy. If I'm awake and thirsty, anything is free game.

Similar to the old yuk-it-up nudge at noon on a Friday, "It's 4 o'clock somewhere amiright?"

Yeah man. Its a lot of time's in other places right now, whats your point? Too irresponsible to consider yourself able to have a beer for breakfast or lunch?

Upon arriving to work...

Haha, reminds me of the scene from "Horrible Bosses" with Kevin Spacey and Jason Bateman, where Kevin Spacey offers him a glass of scotch.

[pouring some scotch into a glass]
Dave Harken: Oh! You want?
Nick Hendricks: It's eight fifteen a.m.!
Dave Harken: What? Is there something wrong with a manager drinking in the morning?
Nick Hendricks: No. Thank you. Sure. Thanks.
[he hands Nick the glass of scotch]
Dave Harken: Bottoms up.
Nick Hendricks: Nothing for you?
Dave Harken: Nick, it's eight fifteen in the morning, I'm not an alcoholic.
Nick Hendricks: Mr. Harken, the only reason I took one because I thought you were gonna have one, so...
Dave Harken: You took one because you thought I was gonna have one? Is that something you think a senior V.P. would do?
Nick Hendricks: I was just trying to be polite.
Dave Harken: So, what? If I uh...was gonna put balls in honey and shaved coconut, you'd do that too?
Nick Hendricks: I would not.
Dave Harken: Sure?
Nick Hendricks: Yeah.
Dave Harken: Cause I've got some coconut
Dave Harken: Look, if you want a promotion, you gotta earn it. Now, what do I keep saying? Life is a marathon and you cannot win a marathon without putting on a few band-aids on your nipple. Right?
Nick Hendricks: Right.
[Nick turns to walk out of his office]
Dave Harken: Nick, it's eighteen year old scotch. You don't really expect me to pour it back into the bottle, do you?
[Nick reluctantly goes back and picks up the glass of scotch and drinks the whole lot]

Upon arriving to work...

One of my favorite overused phrases:
"You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning!"

At thanksgiving yesterday, a guy was explaining about a 10.5% ABV stout. He said "It's pretty strong, really smooth, and quite sweet." Someone listening to him said "Sweet?" and he replied "Yeah, the more alcohol a drink has, the sweeter it is."

I internally facepalmed. Haha.

I took some homebrew to thanksgiving yesterday and asked for a glass. She went straight to the freezer and pulled out a pint glass.

It actually worked out pretty well because the stout I was pouring was overcarbed, so that cut down on the foam :mug:

Basically ethanol tastes sweet, thus contributing to the perceived sweetness (although apparently there is variation in how alcohol tastes to different people)

At thanksgiving yesterday, a guy was explaining about a 10.5% ABV stout. He said "It's pretty strong, really smooth, and quite sweet." Someone listening to him said "Sweet?" and he replied "Yeah, the more alcohol a drink has, the sweeter it is."

I internally facepalmed. Haha.

Basically ethanol tastes sweet, thus contributing to the perceived sweetness (although apparently there is variation in how alcohol tastes to different people)

This. Alcohol does taste sweet, and in a beer that doesn't have a large amount of competing flavors it is more obvious.

I had a guy tell me a beer tastes too brown. I told him brown was not a flavor.

I find that very hard to believe since I drink whiskey that is 50% ethanol and I have drunk Bacardi 151 that is 75.5% alcohol. I have even had some drinks as high at 85% alcohol. None of them are even remotely sweet (unless, of course, you mix them with something that IS sweet).

It is true that the alcohol content in a drink does not necessarily correlate to the sweetness, though. For example, you could mix pure ethanol or vodka with water and get a 5% ABV drink with zero sweetness or mix pure ethanol with simple syrup and get a 50% ABV drink that is very sweet. But that sweetness doesn't come from the ethanol. It comes from the simple syrup.

I will admit that, since I have only ever tasted alcohol with my own tongue and my own tastebuds, I can't say for sure that no one else out there perceives ethanol as tasting sweet, but I've never heard anyone ever refer to a shot of high-ABV vodka as tasting "sweet." Usually people say it "burns" or tastes "dry" and so on. Has there been research done on the different ways that people perceive the flavor of ethanol?

Yesterday, Thanksgiving at my sister in-law's: Her son brought a sampler of Sierra Nevada, nice guy. Her ex crashed for dinner, tried a pull of the Oktoberfest, made a bitter face and said "you kind of need a miller lite to wash the taste out your mouth". My brother just shook his head and left the room.

I find that very hard to believe since I drink whiskey that is 50% ethanol and I have drunk Bacardi 151 that is 75.5% alcohol. I have even had some drinks as high at 85% alcohol. None of them are even remotely sweet (unless, of course, you mix them with something that IS sweet).

It is true that the alcohol content in a drink does not necessarily correlate to the sweetness, though. For example, you could mix pure ethanol or vodka with water and get a 5% ABV drink with zero sweetness or mix pure ethanol with simple syrup and get a 50% ABV drink that is very sweet. But that sweetness doesn't come from the ethanol. It comes from the simple syrup.

I will admit that, since I have only ever tasted alcohol with my own tongue and my own tastebuds, I can't say for sure that no one else out there perceives ethanol as tasting sweet, but I've never heard anyone ever refer to a shot of high-ABV vodka as tasting "sweet." Usually people say it "burns" or tastes "dry" and so on. Has there been research done on the different ways that people perceive the flavor of ethanol?

This might help explain why you've never tasted the sweetness, as well as why some feel the burn differently: http://www.medicaldaily.com/genetic...how-sweet-or-bitter-alcohol-tastes-you-304570

eousq.jpg

This might help explain why you've never tasted the sweetness, as well as why some feel the burn differently: http://www.medicaldaily.com/genetic...how-sweet-or-bitter-alcohol-tastes-you-304570

Huh. That was interesting. I had never even heard of people perceiving ethanol as tasting sweet.

I do drink quite a lot of sweet alcoholic beverages (for example, cocktails), but in all the ones I drink, the sweetness comes 100% from a sweetener (such as simple syrup, grenadine syrup, or in beers unfermentable sugars or unfermented sugars). I also drink spirits straight or neat and find them to be 100% lacking in anything even remotely resembling "sweetness."

I had no idea that there were people out there that perceived ethanol as "sweet." I would be interested in seeing what percentage of people think ethanol tastes that way because the idea to me is so ridiculously foreign.

Huh. That was interesting. I had never even heard of people perceiving ethanol as tasting sweet.

I do drink quite a lot of sweet alcoholic beverages (for example, cocktails), but in all the ones I drink, the sweetness comes 100% from a sweetener (such as simple syrup, grenadine syrup, or in beers unfermentable sugars or unfermented sugars). I also drink spirits straight or neat and find them to be 100% lacking in anything even remotely resembling "sweetness."

I had no idea that there were people out there that perceived ethanol as "sweet." I would be interested in seeing what percentage of people think ethanol tastes that way because the idea to me is so ridiculously foreign.

I'd never heard that one either. In fact, I associate sweetness with incomplete fermentation. I'd be curious if there was a geographical distribution of the people with that perception and if so, how the local specialty accounts for that taste.

they kicked me out of the ethanol plant here for trying to steal their truck and yelling, "I got your sweet sweet ethanol!". or maybe that was just a dream? either way, I know it wasn't an anhydrous ammonia truck.

The beauty of taste and flavor is that they are not necessarily that simple. I'd guess that what one perceives in the 5-30% abv range and what happens to taste as increase alcohol concentration within that range is different from what you experience when you take a swig of 75% abv rum.

Back