Chocolate Oatmeal Milk Stout???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaegonShadow

Reaction score
Ok, so I have made my first beer which is a Milk Stout by Brewer's Best, with a secondary that included 49 oz of Oregon Red Raspberry seedless Puree. I then got to looking at some more of their kits, and came across a kit that is very similar but looks more interesting, the Oatmeal Stout. They are very similar in their ingredients (listed below with links to pdf's), the difference being that the Milk Stout has lactose and that the Oatmeal Stout has more chocolate and Oatmeal in it. I am considering making the Oatmeal Stout and adding a 1/2 lbs of Lactose to see if I can come up with an even smoother, dark chocolaty stout. I am curious if anyone has done this before or something similar before, and what their results were, as well as any suggestions.

Milk Stout
Ingredients
FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Special Dark LME
3.3 lb. Pilsen LME
.5 lb. Lactose
.5 lb. Maltodextrin
SPECIALTY GRAINS
8 oz. Caramel 120L
4 oz. Roasted Barley
4 oz. Dark Chocolate
HOPS
.5 oz. Bittering
.5 oz. Aroma
YEAST
1 Sachet (normally Nottingham)

Oatmeal Stout
Ingredients
FERMENTABLES
3.3 lb. Light LME
3 lb. Extra Dark DME
.5 lb. Maltodextrin
SPECIALTY GRAINS
1 lb. Oats
10 oz. Dark Chocolate
12 oz. 2-row Pale
6 oz. Victory
HOPS
1 oz. Bittering
YEAST
1 Sachet (normally Nottingham)

Sounds like it would be really creamy, not sure if that would be too much. I haven't actually used lactose yet, but it sounds interesting.

I love oatmeal stout... it is the reason I went all-grain. You really need to mash oatmeal.
Looks like they take that into account somewhat by putting 12 oz of 2-row in with it. Make sure you hold that in the 150's (I'd do 156-158) for a half hour or more.

I'd also throw in some lactose for a chocolate oatmeal stout, I always have in mine. Really helps to bring out the chocolate flavor some, and some sweetness in an oatmeal stout is nice.

Back