Small amount of chlorine sanitiser suckback in 1 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peppers16

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry; I know that you will have been asked this a thousand times before but most of the posts I came across involved no-rinse sanitisers (starsan, iodophor and the like) so just wanted some advice before I revert to a RDWHAHB state.

Being the foolish noob that I am, I accidentally caused a bit of suck-back on some chlorine-based sanitiser (I know I should have used vodka or tap water... Now I know why) into a 5 litre (just over 1 gallon) batch of ginger beer. It was about a 3rd of the contents of a very small 3 piece airlock, and the solution itself was made up with no more than a quarter of a teaspoon in excess water.

I'm guessing even in a smaller batch this shouldn't be a problem after a week of fermentation, but as the instructions state the usual "harmful if swallowed, seek medical advice" I thought I should check.
The instructions also say chlorine gas will be released if it contacts acid, and I've got 4 lemons of juice in there. Will this sort things out do you think?

Just monitor the fermentation, as long as the chlorine hasn't killed the yeast, everything else SHOULD be ok. Personally, I keep bleach away from my brewery/winery.

Yeah, sadly I'm still waiting for a UK site to stock star-san and am making do with the chlorine-based stuff that came with my kit in the mean time. This is only my second brew so despite a lot of reading I'm still making rookie errors :-(

Back