Does serving temp and glass shape effect flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil has talked about this in his experience as a judge, and how he tries to make sure that stuff is served at the proper temps. It would be completely impractical for you to specify that your APA was to be served at 55°, while I specified mine was to be 40°; you've just got to be realistic about this. Jamil mentioned how he will warm the beer up to an appropriate temp in his hands (remember, too, that they've got small glasses) if he believes it has been served to him too coldly; I'm not sure I would trust the typical judge to do the same.

As long as all the same styles are in the same glasses and at the same temps, I guess thats the most you could ask for. If it;s the right glass and temp, so much the better. If it's wrong, at least it's (hopefully) wrong for everyone.

I find that my beer tastes best when poured across the thigh of a virgin, but what are you going to do.

Barring that, you might want to look into this:

I've heard some interviews about competition judging, they are aware this is a problem. Apparently, one way around it is to smell as soon as the glass is handed to you. Then judge the color/clarity. Take a sip. Make some notes. And then repeat the smelling and tasting now that the beer is warmer.

Back