Braided Hose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trubador

Reaction score
So, I have a 3/4-inch stainless steel braided hose for a water heater. I cut off both ends with a hacksaw and inside is a thick walled white plastic tubing.

It does not come out or move for that matter. How is it that you all have been able to remove this from the stainless steel?

Think chinese finger trap. The harder you attempt to pull on it the tighter it will clamp down on the tubing underneath. You will need to try and push it together and slowly slide it inch by inch off of the tubing. Wear gloves, as the frayed ends will poke into your fingers.

I was able to work enough tubing out of one end to clamp it in a vise. Then I slowly worked the SS sheathing off. Sometimes you have to bunch up the SS sheathing to slowly work out the tube. Pulling it all the time makes it tighten up around the tube. Kind of like a Chinese finger lock toy.

I'll give that a shot tonight.

So I start at one frayed end and push the braid toward the other end of the braid. THis will probably make a little "fold", then I push from that fold, and so on until I have moved the braid about an inch off the tubing. I assume I just repeat this until I have moved enough of the braid off the hose that I can physically "pull" the hose out of the braid.

Is this the idea?

You'll never pull it out. Once you pull, it will tighten up. You have the right idea about the folds. You will be 'inch worming' it the whole way off.

trubador said:
I'll give that a shot tonight.

So I start at one frayed end and push the braid toward the other end of the braid. THis will probably make a little "fold", then I push from that fold, and so on until I have moved the braid about an inch off the tubing. I assume I just repeat this until I have moved enough of the braid off the hose that I can physically "pull" the hose out of the braid.

Is this the idea?

That's what I did. You'll then need to massage it back to shape to spread the openings back out.

Hmm, maybe I should have marked this post NSFW.

johnsma22 said:
You'll never pull it out. Once you pull, it will tighten up. You have the right idea about the folds. You will be 'inch worming' it the whole way off.

So, my original thought that this was a 10 minute job was completely off the mark. Sounds like I have to dedicate a few tedious hours to this! I'll do it while I'm watching the boob tube.

trubador said:
So, my original thought that this was a 10 minute job was completely off the mark. Sounds like I have to dedicate a few tedious hours to this! I'll do it while I'm watching the boob tube.

No, I don't think so. Just use some needle nose pliers to grab the inner hose, and push off the outer braid. It might just slip off without any fuss (mine did).

Takes about 2 min. All just depends on if you can get it loose enough to start moving. Don't get frustrated if it doesn't move the first few tries.

It takes me about a minute. I cut both ends. Shove it backwards to expose the tubing. Then grab the tubing with pliers and pull while I push the braid and it comes right off.

Dan

Back