Saison Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dara

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been fermenting my Saison Ale for 6 weeks now, but at about 65-75 for most of it (which I guess is lower than optimal). I had a strong primary fermentation for about 4 days at the start. I was away for 3 weeks and noticed this blotchy white layer on top of teh batch in its secondary vessel when I got back last night. Should I be worried about it? Anybody know what that white layer is?

Please see the attached photo.

thanks,

dara

fermentation.jpg

I have had that white stuff on so many of my brews and I think most of it is just bubbles that don't pop. Since there is little to no air movement in the carboy, it seems they have no reason to pop. like Bellsbrat's said, taste it and you will see, but I doubt you have any problem. If so, let us know!

Which yeast did you use? I normally ferment Saisons at 80-95F and they are done in a couple of days. I then leave them in the primary for a total of 2-3 weeks to clean up, then bottle and cellar (after they carb) for 6-8 weeks.

Don't sweat the floating thingys.

Hi,

I used an expired Saison Ale Yeast WLP565 (the guy at my LHBS reckoned the lower number of yeast parts would be even better since it would create more estery flavors when the yeast works harder to ferment the wort. I believed him enough to try it!).
While I have you here, I have one other question. When I am getting the sparge water through the mash, I leave it for 15 minutes to soak before draining. What should I do with the first runnings? I.e do I keep it above 140F to avoid off-flavors (like why one should cool wort quickly), or do i just let it be??
thanks

dara

by the way, it tastes great (flat obviously now though). Thanks for the replies. I'll be bottling it today with any luck.

Hi,

I used an expired Saison Ale Yeast WLP565 (the guy at my LHBS reckoned the lower number of yeast parts would be even better since it would create more estery flavors when the yeast works harder to ferment the wort. I believed him enough to try it!).
While I have you here, I have one other question. When I am getting the sparge water through the mash, I leave it for 15 minutes to soak before draining. What should I do with the first runnings? I.e do I keep it above 140F to avoid off-flavors (like why one should cool wort quickly), or do i just let it be??
thanks

dara

When I was still using my MLT I would drain the first runnings into the BK and fire up the burner to begin heating towards boil while the batch sparge soaked for a few minuted in the MLT. (I'm a BIAB'er now)

I took a gravity reading about 3 weeks ago and it was down around 1.008 if I remember correctly, so I was happy with that, and kinda surprised to be honest. I didn't bottle though since there was still some vague activity. I smashed my hydrometer when I cleaned it after this, so I don't know the gravity right now (how amateur, I know....I'll be getting a new one in a few days)

oh nice so it worked well for you. I wouldn't worry about the bubbles then, they really just look like co2 bubbles.

Back