Saison Cottage House Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took mine to LHBS and asked the owner who is a certified beer judge to rate. I was a little bummed. He picked up astringency, which I learned I may be getting by over sparging. I have not been checking my gravity of my final runnings. I learned that you should not let them go below 1.010 or they can include tannins which will make it astringent. Other than that he liked it except said it was out of style being 8%, it would have to be entered as a Belgian specialty ale. Overall if you were judging it he rated at about a 30. This was also due to lack of carbonation. I filled a bottle from the keg and couldn't keep it from foaming. By the time he got it it was pretty flat.

30 is not bad. As for astringency, you may want to look into pH if you don't already. Much easier than tracking the gravity of your running a IMO. I brew something similar o this recipe but I don't add any simple sugar. That will lower your abv and the 3711 has no issues brining this down to 1.004. Mine omens in around 6.5, which I think it perfect.

This was a hit with my family.

IMG_20131116_221300.jpg

I brewed this the end of Sept. with Danstar BellSaison yeast. Got a nice banana aroma with very little pepper taste. Planning doing it again with more pepper. Nice beer, will be doing it again,

Just a quick note to rave :)
This is the best recipe I ever brewed from the internet!!
Beautiful color, taste is really good for style. Just wonderful!
Thanks for the recipe.

tagz said:
30 is not bad. As for astringency, you may want to look into pH if you don't already. Much easier than tracking the gravity of your running a IMO. I brew something similar o this recipe but I don't add any simple sugar. That will lower your abv and the 3711 has no issues brining this down to 1.004. Mine omens in around 6.5, which I think it perfect.
yep I LOVE Saisons and this one is great but next time would like something between session and big, 6% is perfect. I aged the second half of this batch on two oz med toast French oak chips and added about 5oz of Chardonnay, for two weeks. Now letting it age in carboy by itself. It tastes great. Just invested in a floor corker, two cases of Belgian 750ml beer bottles and corks and cages... Can't wait to bottle and age this one a little!

Just invested in a floor corker, two cases of Belgian 750ml beer bottles and corks and cages... Can't wait to bottle and age this one a little!

Very cool. I would love to be able to do some corked 750s for gifts.

I have this sitting in primary right now, day 7. Cannot wait. I had some extra sweet orange peel left over so I tossed that in during the last 15 minutes of boil, about 7/8 of an oz.

Just got my kegging system ordered, will be here tuesday, cannot wait to drink this!

Brewing a spin on this for a winter warmer. Upping the caramunich to a pound and the honey to 2 # then putting 2# each sweet and sour cherries and using czech saaz.

I brewed this a while back and almost out. Had my cousin help me and we split the work and the results :)

We both liked it a lot. He mentioned he had family over and they had a few and all loved it. They had another get together and they were asking if he had anymore. He counted how many he had left and said....."no all out"

Robert

image-1993405559.jpg

Got a new bottling rig... Floor corker, two cases of 750s, corks in cages. Now I can bottle Saisons Belgian style! This is the second 5 gallons of the 10 gallon batch of cottage house I brewed. This 5 gallons I aged a couple weeks on 2 ounces of medium toast French oak chips and about 5 ounces of Chardonnay.

View attachment 162352

Got a new bottling rig... Floor corker, two cases of 750s, corks in cages. Now I can bottle Saisons Belgian style! This is the second 5 gallons of the 10 gallon batch of cottage house I brewed. This 5 gallons I aged a couple weeks on 2 ounces of medium toast French oak chips and about 5 ounces of Chardonnay.

That is a vurrrry nice pic there!

And that recipe tweak sounds fantastic! :ban:

I did a 2gallon pilot batch last night, a tweak from this recipe. I didnt have the same hops on hand, so just subbed what I had (Sorachi & tett for FWH, willamette for 30min, cent for 15). The interesting tweak was to make 25% of the grain bill wild rice. I pre-gelatinized it and then crushed it up a little, added to the mash and tried to mash as normal. Since this was a pilot batch, it wouldn't work on my normal setup (MLT is 72qt coleman xtrreme, so a small grainbill barely covers the floor)... well I suppose it could have worked, but the setup and cleaning wasnt worth it, so I did the batch in the kitchen. After 4years of brewing, I've done my first batch ever in the kitchen! I used a pasta boiler/colander combo as a MLT and it worked pretty nicely. I had some difficulty maintaining the mash temps, but I was between 140 and 160 lol. The efficiency definitely took a hit, but it is hard to say if my low OG was due entirely from that or partially from unconverted rice (no iodine test). OG was 1.042. Pitched onto bottle dregs from 2 big bottles of my last saison (no saison yeast at LHBS...).

All in all, certainly a cottage house example... whatever I had on hand basically! I am very interested in the flavor the rice will impart, and I will update when I can! Cheers

What do you mean with pre gelatanized? You cooked it like you would for serving rice? I've heard of folks using pre-cooked dehydrated (minute) rice before in beers, but I'd like to hear clarification for your treatment of the rice. Thanks in advance.

What do you mean with pre gelatanized? You cooked it like you would for serving rice? I've heard of folks using pre-cooked dehydrated (minute) rice before in beers, but I'd like to hear clarification for your treatment of the rice. Thanks in advance.

Pretty much just cooked it, yes. Rinsed then Started with cold water, slowly ramped to a boil over medium (instead of full blast), boiled for an hour. Wild rice (sometimes called Canadian wild rice) doesn't come as minute rice (at least I've never seen it). Its almost black and very long grained. Cooked, it bursts a bit and has a whitish inside similar to other rice. It tasted pretty similar but also had something a little different, wood-y or nutty. I would certainly eat it. I did want to see regular white rice, but this rice seemed fun to experiment with.

azscoob said:
That is a vurrrry nice pic there! And that recipe tweak sounds fantastic! :ban:
thanks I got the idea for recipe tweak from Goose Island. I love their Sophie Saison and at The Porter in Atlanta (phenomenal beer pub) I had some Sophie Paradisi (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/72615/?ba=NSK79) on tap! It has grapefruit (which I didn't add) but is aged in Chardonnay barrels.

I did a 2gallon pilot batch last night, a tweak from this recipe. I didnt have the same hops on hand, so just subbed what I had (Sorachi & tett for FWH, willamette for 30min, cent for 15). The interesting tweak was to make 25% of the grain bill wild rice. I pre-gelatinized it and then crushed it up a little, added to the mash and tried to mash as normal. Since this was a pilot batch, it wouldn't work on my normal setup (MLT is 72qt coleman xtrreme, so a small grainbill barely covers the floor)... well I suppose it could have worked, but the setup and cleaning wasnt worth it, so I did the batch in the kitchen. After 4years of brewing, I've done my first batch ever in the kitchen! I used a pasta boiler/colander combo as a MLT and it worked pretty nicely. I had some difficulty maintaining the mash temps, but I was between 140 and 160 lol. The efficiency definitely took a hit, but it is hard to say if my low OG was due entirely from that or partially from unconverted rice (no iodine test). OG was 1.042. Pitched onto bottle dregs from 2 big bottles of my last saison (no saison yeast at LHBS...).

All in all, certainly a cottage house example... whatever I had on hand basically! I am very interested in the flavor the rice will impart, and I will update when I can! Cheers

Do keep me posted, I'm interested in the results, our summer home is in far northern Wisconsin near the U.P. There is a vast local harvest of wild rice up there and I might have found another avenue to make use of the local crop!

thanks I got the idea for recipe tweak from Goose Island. I love their Sophie Saison and at The Porter in Atlanta (phenomenal beer pub) I had some Sophie Paradisi (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1549/72615/?ba=NSK79) on tap! It has grapefruit (which I didn't add) but is aged in Chardonnay barrels.

I've not had the beer you speak of and since I recently relocated back to the Midwest. Perhaps I can find a bottle or two to imbibe and critique for myself, any pointers as to a location I can find it? Or is it a seasonal type beer?

Would you say the last two weeks at room temperature are necessary? Mine appears to have reached FG or very close and it has only been 15 days at 65-68 degrees.

Thinking about tossing in some gelatin, cold crashing and transferring it to my keg in a few days.

kharper6 said:
Would you say the last two weeks at room temperature are necessary? Mine appears to have reached FG or very close and it has only been 15 days at 65-68 degrees. Thinking about tossing in some gelatin, cold crashing and transferring it to my keg in a few days.

I did it both ways and found when I ramped up the temps I got more of the saison funk.

Getting ready to transfer to a keg so its ready for an ugly sweater Christmas party.

Brewed this without temp control in my ferm chamber. Ambient was up to 83 during the peak of fermentation. Its been sitting in there for three weeks - ambient temp was 72 for most of the time.

My sample at one week SG reading was fantastic! Im looking forward to the sample today. Can't wait for it to carb!

I'm brewing this bad boy and was wondering about additives for the water, if needed. I'm using filtered Los Angeles (east) tap water which as a pH of roughly 6.2. I do have 5.2pH additive available. Do you think I should add it? Thanks! I can't wait to try this bad beast!!

Does anyone have opinions on how to add the black pepper to the fermenter? Did not have any peppercorns on hand on brew day.

Just brewed this again using flaked wheat. Unfortunately I didn't get any sugars out of the wheat, don't know if it hadn't been properly gelatinized or what.

SG was 1.049 so it is going to come out as quite a different beer to my previous batch, still -- smelling good in the fermenter.

jordanfrenzy said:
Does anyone have opinions on how to add the black pepper to the fermenter? Did not have any peppercorns on hand on brew day.

You could just skip them. I've brewed this one both with and without and I prefer the one with no BP.

Just brewed this again using flaked wheat. Unfortunately I didn't get any sugars out of the wheat, don't know if it hadn't been properly gelatinized or what.

SG was 1.049 so it is going to come out as quite a different beer to my previous batch, still -- smelling good in the fermenter.

Flaked grains are pre-gelatinized, rolled, dried. Sugar extraction shouldn't be an issue.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the .5lbs. of oats in this?

Totally not saison season, but I'm jonesing to brew one, and this one seems to be a pretty from grain to glass, which is right up my alley.

I may have trouble getting temps over 70-72 unless I use a water bath or something of the sort.

Totally not saison season, but I'm jonesing to brew one, and this one seems to be a pretty from grain to glass, which is right up my alley.

I may have trouble getting temps over 70-72 unless I use a water bath or something of the sort.

I strap a heating pad and a couple layers of (big) bubble wrap around hot fermentors. Then cover the whole lot with a thick dark towel.

For more precise heating control plug it into an STC-1000/temp controller.

And it's always saison season, at least for me.

The oats are there for mouthfeel, it lends a nice silkiness to the final product....

it was also what I had on hand when I made the recipe so I figured I'd toss it in! :drunk:

Just kegged this. Been under 4 weeks total by a few days but it was definitely finished and I cannot wait until tonight to try it.

Back