When to move Blue Moon clone from primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer_Ted

Reaction score
I brewed up a clone of Blue Moon a little over two weeks ago (with orange peel and coriander). I did not filter out the peel or the coriander, it all went straight into the fermenting bucket. I have tested the FG and it has been stable for the last 3 days. Should I leave it in the bucket for another week or so or should I move it to a secondary since I left the peel and coriander in the wort or go ahead and bottle it up?

TIA!

I don't think a secondary fermentation is necessary, but an extra week in the primary can't hurt. Bottle it or let it sit another week.

Agreed, bottle/keg it up. 2 weeks is a good time for a wit or hefe IHMO if you've reached your FG. Letting it sit another week won't hurt, but I would not secondary it.

Give it a taste, if it's where you want go ahead and move it to secondary to prevent any further flavor leeching. It probably wont change much if you want to leave it. You could probably just bottle it now if you wanted.

I'd move it to the secondary. It's probably ready, but if you move it to the secondary, you can rack it away from any trub and let it clear up a little.
Ideally, if you can move the secondary to somewhere a little cooler it might help with the clarification a bit.

I bottled my Belgian White after 2 weeks in primary. However, it *was* my first ever brew, and I didn't have the peel in the fermenter. Should be okay though.

I have made this beer several times. I leave it in primary 2-3 weeks and make sure the gravity is steady...rack to a clean secondary and immediately into 2-3 days cold crashing then bottle. May not be correct but it sure tastes good.

just curious, where did you get the blue moon clone? I'm sure the other half would like us to make that one next

Back