The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90-rosa.gif

KompanyDadLook.gif

yeah bro
tubular

*Technically Arsenal are "champions of England" since they won a tournament where every team in England was involved. City are champions of the premier league. No argument which I rate higher though.

as a casual fan of the premier league, my teams are thus... everton, palace and villa. have been out of the hbt loop for some time, however, now that i know you knobs are watching the beautiful game, i'll tune in more often. :p

edit: used to root for the wanderers, but they've been out of the top league so long i can't find em here in the states..

No talk about what happened today? 5 top half sides in the premier league were ousted from the FA, 2 have to play a second leg. And well the other 3 haven't won their 4th round matches yet.

The schadenfreude from chelsea/city over United's draw look uber foolish now.

No talk about what happened today? 5 top half sides in the premier league were ousted from the FA, 2 have to play a second leg. And well the other 3 haven't won their 4th round matches yet.

The schadenfreude from chelsea/city over United's draw look uber foolish now.

foolish? playing to a draw against a league 2 team. Cambridge United are going to make more money from the one replay game then they will all season. **** they were playing for the draw not the win.

lets all schadenfruede

"Now the club has won a replay at Old Trafford which will probably earn them close to their annual turnover of £1.6m. The turnover of Manchester United is £433m. The annual wage bill at Cambridge United is around £1,1m with the best paid player on £1.5k a week. At Manchester United the wage bill is around £200m."

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/big-payday-cambridge-united

foolish? playing to a draw against a league 2 team. Cambridge United are going to make more money from the one replay game then they will all season. **** they were playing for the draw not the win.

lets all schadenfruede

"Now the club has won a replay at Old Trafford which will probably earn them close to their annual turnover of £1.6m. The turnover of Manchester United is £433m. The annual wage bill at Cambridge United is around £1,1m with the best paid player on £1.5k a week. At Manchester United the wage bill is around £200m."

http://www.footballeconomy.com/content/big-payday-cambridge-united

To be blunt, I'd take a draw on a ****ty League 2 surface over a 2-0 loss at home to a championship side. I bet United takes the second side by at least 3 goals. Van Gaal wants blood and will get it.

To be blunt, I'd take a draw on a ****ty League 2 surface over a 2-0 loss at home to a championship side. I bet United takes the second side by at least 3 goals. Van Gaal wants blood and will get it.

Didn't united lose to MK Dons this year? 4-0

was that the ****ty field to?

Didn't united lose to MK Dons this year? 4-0

was that the ****ty field to?

And that loss was accepted as a terrible defeat for United. But if I had to choose what tournament to get bounced from, I'd rather get bounced from Capital One than from the FA cup. United of course is a massively different team since then, 2 key players for them weren't on the team then (Di Maria and Blind) and Rojo wasn't integrated into the squad.

Great video of a Man City Legend.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98z0CfH5FR4[/ame]

And that loss was accepted as a terrible defeat for United. But if I had to choose what tournament to get bounced from, I'd rather get bounced from Capital One than from the FA cup. United of course is a massively different team since then, 2 key players for them weren't on the team then (Di Maria and Blind) and Rojo wasn't integrated into the squad.

Oh those three players have completely changed the look of Man United :rolleyes:

Phil Jones? really? Maybe you should start watching Man United

Shows how much you watch, in his 11 premier league matches, Phil Jones has 2 MotM performances. Mainly due to his excellent distribution. Sure he's had rough matches too. But he's been fantastic and his and Rojo's play has been a big reason why Van Gaal has been comfortable going with the 3 man back line.

Heard the MLS might go strike :( I think some of them need a raise 37,000 is bull****. Seven players account for 31% of the league's total payroll.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-soccer-baxter-20150201-story.html

The average MLS paycheck jumped dramatically in 2014 — going from $165,066 to $207,831, according to the Empire of Soccer website. But seven designated players accounted for 31% of the league's total payroll while 54 others had contracts worth less than $37,000

Oi I unsubscribed from the CBA thread at BigSoccer. That place is nuts. I'm just going to wait it out to see how it goes.

Personally I don't see a strike happening, and I base that on absolutely nothing.

Oi I unsubscribed from the CBA thread at BigSoccer. That place is nuts. I'm just going to wait it out to see how it goes.

Personally I don't see a strike happening, and I base that on absolutely nothing.

Yeah, woudln't make sense for the league just after the start of it's MLS 2.0

Dortmund has been more than a bit unlucky. Tied for 14th in GD, should be free of relegation, but not good. They need to start winning now to have a prayer at UCL qualification.

Dortmund has been more than a bit unlucky. Tied for 14th in GD, should be free of relegation, but not good. They need to start winning now to have a prayer at UCL qualification.

It's crazy they made it to the Champions League Final 2 years ago now they are last with a chance they will being relegated

So I just saw that Chelsea lost in the FA cup, crazy game at least from the highlights I watched. Is the FA cup all the professional teams in England? Trying to figure out the tourny..

So I just saw that Chelsea lost in the FA cup, crazy game at least from the highlights I watched. Is the FA cup all the professional teams in England? Trying to figure out the tourny..

Not all professional teams. All members of premier league, Championship, League 1 and League 2, and anyone else in england who played the previous season in FA Cup, trophy or Vase. I mean it's an insane number of teams who are in the FA Cup. This year started with 732 teams. It was whittled down to 124, then i'ts whittled down from League 1 and 2 and the qualifying lower division teams to like 20 before the Premier league and CHampionship get involved. Which was the round that just happened. So it's kind of a big deal for Preston North End and Bradford City to have made it through. Especially Bradford who had to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Not all professional teams. All members of premier league, Championship, League 1 and League 2, and anyone else in england who played the previous season in FA Cup, trophy or Vase. I mean it's an insane number of teams who are in the FA Cup. This year started with 732 teams. It was whittled down to 124, then i'ts whittled down from League 1 and 2 and the qualifying lower division teams to like 20 before the Premier league and CHampionship get involved. Which was the round that just happened. So it's kind of a big deal for Preston North End and Bradford City to have made it through. Especially Bradford who had to beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

Yeah, It's the American dream. Anyone can become President, but money helps. :)

Edit: I do think they should try the American dream idea in American sports also. ;)

Yeah, It's the American dream. Anyone can become President, but money helps. :)

Edit: I do think they should try the American dream idea in American sports also. ;)

Along that vein I would love to bring the concept of relegation to the NFL... Would definitely make the last third of the season more intense...

Along that vein I would love to bring the concept of relegation to the NFL... Would definitely make the last third of the season more intense...

Relegation would make pretty much every American Sport better. My Oakland Raiders would probably be in League 2 by now too bad it will never happen :(

I was thinking CFL... But anyway if would hit a lot of the owners I'm their pockets and give them an incentive to clean house

All the professional teams in England play, and some of the amateur teams.
I think there are like 10 tiers of teams in the FA Cup.

What do you mean by "new teams"?
Like, newly organized teams within the conferences?
If that's what you mean, then yes, you cannot just form a brand new team that has never played in a full conference season & expect to get drawn into the FA Cup.

liverpool vs Hotspurs should be good Sturridge VS Kane should at least be pretty to watch

How am i just now getting to this thread?

Been supporting Spurs since i was a child. And marginally pay attention to MLS (DC United). Not so much other leagues.

Not too worried about losing today. Both sides in good form and it was far from the hiding that past run ins with the Scousers have been.

Plus I'm still on a high from Saturday's derby victory.

Also, glad Spurs are out of the FA Cup. Too many fronts at once. Focus on smashing Chelsea in the League Cup and making top four, everything else is for the birds i say.

How am i just now getting to this thread?

Been supporting Spurs since i was a child. And marginally pay attention to MLS (DC United). Not so much other leagues.

Not too worried about losing today. Both sides in good form and it was far from the hiding that past run ins with the Scousers have been.

Plus I'm still on a high from Saturday's derby victory.

Also, glad Spurs are out of the FA Cup. Too many fronts at once. Focus on smashing Chelsea in the League Cup and making top four, everything else is for the birds i say.

Hey nice to get more people who love beer and soccer! I'm pretty much strictly MLS but I'll watch anything that's on.

So, DC area huh? Will you start going when they build their new stadium?

Hey nice to get more people who love beer and soccer! I'm pretty much strictly MLS but I'll watch anything that's on.

So, DC area huh? Will you start going when they build their new stadium?

It's possible, but probably not. If anything, I'm rather bitter about the way they went about it, and it's probably going for force a bunch of decent working people out of their homes. They didn't really go about it openly or honestly admitting that. Par for the course for US stadiums (and US sports in general). All about the money.

New stadium looks nice in drawings, I'll give em that. I'd sooner go to RFK though. I watch the games on occasion, but have actually never been to a match since I moved to this area. An old friend of mine (before his visa expired and he had to move back to London) was well involved in the Barra Brava squad.

Back