Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No reason to shred brisket if it's cooked to completion and cut against the grain of the meat.
If it falls apart from too long a cook (over completion), shredding it to make sandwiches is acceptable IMO. At the same time, it should be an embarrassing moment for whoever watched the pit. A fresh slice (that passes the pull test) of flat with point from a prime brisket that was cooked with care is a bucket list item. You won't get that at MOST BBQ joints. You get pre-sliced, sauced, select grade chewy **** instead.

If it falls apart from too long a cook (over completion), shredding it to make sandwiches is acceptable IMO. At the same time, it should be an embarrassing moment for whoever watched the pit. A fresh slice (that passes the pull test) of flat with point from a prime brisket that was cooked with care is a bucket list item. You won't get that at MOST BBQ joints. You get pre-sliced, sauced, select grade chewy **** instead.

I've overcooked it. You're right, it probably would have been better shredded. It wasn't chewy at all, but it was DRY.

I picked up a 7 lb pork butt a couple days ago and smoke that. In the meantime brewed a 5 gallon batch of Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.

Got some country style ribs on now. About an hour left. I added some husk on corn for a 2 hour cook. I just put on the olive oil/salted whole potatoes for the last hour. I made about the same ribs a few weeks ago and they were great. I hope these will be as good.

Sous vide Prime Rib came out great tonight. Love how SV eliminates the stress of timing the cook. I lit the green egg for searing the PR and when the company was hungry I seared it.

2eggqrd.jpg

Yeah, Home Depot has Kingsford 50% off in my area right now.
Did some beef ribs yesterday on a whim. Woke up and had the urge to smoke something new. Turns out I love beef ribs, way more than pork ribs. Salt, Pepper and Pecan...beefy deliciousness.
beef-ribs-66032.jpg

Without going back through pages of info here - I'm pretty sure that this is the thread that advises using the Kitchenaid stand mixer with the mixing paddle to pull the pork - tried it today for the first time and OMG I will NEVER do it any other way again, EVER!

So kudos and hearty thanks to whomever suggested this ingenious way of pulling all that lovely pork into shreds. Even KOTC was duly impressed.

Without going back through pages of info here - I'm pretty sure that this is the thread that advises using the Kitchenaid stand mixer with the mixing paddle to pull the pork - tried it today for the first time and OMG I will NEVER do it any other way again, EVER!

So kudos and hearty thanks to whomever suggested this ingenious way of pulling all that lovely pork into shreds. Even KOTC was duly impressed.

I'm doing 4 pork butts this weekend (not sure if I'll start late tonight or early tomorrow), and that's my plan! Excited about it; as I hate pulling with forks!

I'm doing 4 pork butts this weekend (not sure if I'll start late tonight or early tomorrow), and that's my plan! Excited about it; as I hate pulling with forks!

Me too, and I was highly skeptical, as the meat was not quite as "falling off the bone tender" as I would have liked, but no matter - the Kitchenaid made short work of it!

Don't overload the bowl (about 1/3 to 1/2 full of large chunks) and start on the lowest setting - in fact, that's all we needed to get it to break those chunks down.

So, continuing on my sentiments a few posts prior, I got a hold of some beef chuck ribs and put them through the motions. Turned out really great. I was looking for the plate ribs but Restaurant Depot/Jetro only had select grade so I went with choice chucks. All they needed was salt and pepper...brisket on a stick.
photo-1-66068.jpg

photo-2-66069.jpg

photo-33-66070.jpg

photo-41-66071.jpg

photo-5-66072.jpg

This 4th butt just won't finish. Stuck at 185* for the last couple of hours. Guess this one will be chopped pork :)

Why not finish in the oven?

I wish I had set up something to smoke. Maybe tomorrow.

Time to get these off and rest them. Just a little more waiting for that pulled pork sandwich.

IMAG00099.jpg

You're welcome :)

I've been doing it that way for years and figured others had, too. However, for the texture I like, I've found the dough hook works better (which is what I originally posted).

I decided to pull all the meat and mix it together so everyone can taste all the cuts.

Looks awesome!

I LOVE pig roasts. My favorite part has always been stealing bits of the crispy skin during the pull - which, coincidentally, is my favorite part when the turkey is being carved. Love me some tasty skin :D.

Sorry for the delay; updates! Added some sausages for some snacks. One last minute flip to drain some juices. The pulling begins (I decided to pull all the meat and mix it together so everyone can taste all the cuts).

Pure awesomeness! :mug:
Regards, GF.

Did some Beef Back Ribs yesterday. Won't do them again, there was almost no meat left after just a 4 hour cook at 225F. I'll stick with chuck and plate beef ribs from now on unless I splurge on some known meaty ones like creekstone.
beef-back-ribs-1-66108.jpg

beef-back-ribs-2-66109.jpg

Smoked a package of wings last night for the Ohio State / Virginia Tech game. They were outstanding. I wish I had taken a picture. One hour on the WSM with a small chunk of applewood followed by a couple minutes on the grill to crisp up the skins.

Back