Plum Kombucha??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be careful when adding fresh fruit to bottles, as kombucha is alive it will keep fermenting. When I add fresh fruit I usually puree it and add it to the kombucha (minus the SCOBY) and let it do a short "secondary" fermentation. The fruit will add sugar and letting it ferment more brings it back up to the proper taste balance between sweet and sour.

I have been making fermented tea and I have been using brewers best flavor extracts in the brew. Usually add 1oz in the primary and adjust to suit my taste. You should be able to add these extracts any time you want.

Plums produce a subtle flavor.
Juices and Puree's are a good way to go for a sweeter flavor.
Let your tongue be the compass.

Cheers!
Wizard works

How can you maximize the alcohol content of Kombuche, and how high can it go?
As the owner of a Kombucha company (Bucha Belly) we go to great lengths to ensure that our kombucha alcohol percentage stays below .5%. That being said, I know most of the tricks on how you would make the alcohol percentage skyrocket.

As you probably know that kombucha first ferment is made with a scoby, which is made up of yeast and bacteria. The bacteria provide the probiotics, but the yeast is responsible for the alcohol. So if you are trying to ramp up the alc percentage, try to increase the amount of yeast to white bacteria. When you finish a batch and are going to start a new one, make sure that your starter fluid has the highest concentration of yeast possible. It will probably be sitting near the bottom of your jar.

Next, increase the amount of sugar that you use with your first, and second ferment. The sugar is what is getting converted into alcohol, so make sure that the yeast has plenty of it to eat!

Add additional yeast to the second fermentation process. Since the SCOBY will not be in the Kombucha for this part, this will really skew the ratio in favor of the yeast, and make alcohol percentage increase drastically.

I hope this helped! I am happy to answer more questions.

Back