Question for anyone who has brewed NB Raspberry Wheat-Possible Issue...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfrice80

Reaction score
Hello,

Bear in mind, I'm still a newbie and this whole process but I have a question regarding the raspberry wheat beer, this was my very first batch and has been sitting in my secondary for about a week now and I just racked my second batch into the secondary this morning which was a Weizenbier from BB. The color comparison between the two are huge! My raspberry wheat looks like a stout sitting next to my weizenbier.

The first batch(raspberry wheat), I used a liquid yeast, which I thought did a good job but my second batch(Weizenbier) I used a dry yeast and there was a huge difference. The dry yeast fermented way more aggressively. Can the level and amount of fermentation affect the color of the beer? I'm concerned about the dark color of my raspberry wheat and that it possibly didnt sit in the primary long enough, I racked after 5 days in the primary. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Is this an extract beer? I brewed the same raspberry wheat for my first and it is fairly light colored beer overall. Maybe 6-7 SRM. If you used extract I would say there is a fair chance that the extract sank to the bottom and burned slightly causing carmelization. You really have to stir the extract well during the first part of the boil.

Yes, it is from an liquid extract but I stirred the heck out of it and when i pour it out it showed no burning on the bottom of the pan. The thing Im concerned about is the yeast as well. Its been in the secondary for a week and its really not bubbling.

the yeast will not affect the color nor will the length of primary fermentation. it has to do with ingrediants. beer always looks darker in the carboy than in the glass also

Yes, it is from an liquid extract but I stirred the heck out of it and when i pour it out it showed no burning on the bottom of the pan. The thing Im concerned about is the yeast as well. Its been in the secondary for a week and its really not bubbling.

+1 on yeast not affecting color. Did it ferment well during primary? It is probably fine. I was drinking this beer in 3 1/2 weeks after brewday. It is made to drink early.

I just made and kegged this kit. After church ill pour a glass and take a picture. Id feel kind of bad pouring/drinking a glass before i went to church! After making this kit using the raspberry extract provided, i definitely wish i would have used real raspberries. I used all 4 ounces and the flavor is rather weak. I taste more of a lemony flavor than raspberry. Its also more bitter than i expected. Tastes like a belgium wheat. Its not bad at all, i was just expecting something different. Mine is still pretty young (almost 4 weeks old) so the taste may still develop some more.

Here is a pic of mine:

raspberry_wheat.jpg

Looks good to me. I only added the flavoring to half the batch when i made mine. I actually like the unflavored one better. Nice hot day session beer

That beer looks quite tasty! Mine will definitely not look like that but hopefully the flavor is preserved.

One thing I've noticed is that the beer looks much much darker in the fermenter (plastic bucket or carboy, doesn't matter) than it will in the bottle. It also looks darker at night. :p

Back