Hop substitution help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretius

Reaction score
Hi everyone; I bottled my second batch yesterday; an oatmeal stout. Unfortunately, it tastes pretty much the same as the pale ale I made (at least when they were both flat). Now I am going to make another stout (of the non-oatmeal variety) and I just took a look at the hops I have.

I have a bit of my Northern Brewer left, and I have a new package of Mt. Hood to use. The recipe I have calls for some bittering hops (Northern Brewer and Cascade.. but I can use Hood in place of Cascade I suppose) but I will be out of Northern Brewer by the time I am supposed to add the flavoring hops, and I don't know if Mt. Hood can be used.

My plan is:

1/3 c of roasted barley, 7 lbs Dark DME, 10 oz brown sugar, and then use Hood and Brewer as bittering hops, and (maybe) the rest of the Hood as the flavoring hops.

Basically my question is: can I use Mt Hood as a flavoring hop?

You actually can get by with only the addtion of bittering hops with stouts. I see a lot of recipes that only use the initial bittering hops.

I ended up keeping the Northern Brewer for flavoring and used most of the hood for bittering, with the rest as aroma. I messed around with the recipe quite a bit. It seems like it's got the potential to be really potent - my OG was 1.080 (and that was after I put on 3 gallons of top-off water and shook it for only a minute or two). I took a bit of a taste —*Very very roasted barley flavor. Was quite a kick. I used 5/3 cup of roasted barley in this one. I'm excited to see how the botched-recipe-turned-experiment ends up!

Back