no turkey fryers in england:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanyP321

Reaction score
As the british don't know about turkey fryers - Ive been looking for another way to heat my wort.

Doe anyone have experience with something like this?

Hopandgrape Store ELECTRIM 5 Gallon BOILER

Yay or Nay?

The guy says he can do me a 7 gallon one (8.4 US gallons), which should be enough for when it comes time to go all grain right?

cheerzies

It should work fine for boils.

Are stand-alone propane or natural gas burners available over there. You could always go that route with a stockpot as your boil kettle.

they are but the price of a the equipment plus another pot large enough (I have one that only just manages 5 gallons to the brim), plus propane

...it just seems like an easier option. plug and play:)

ohh mate. you don't have to tell me - I'm an american living in england. miss my turkey!! Don't miss the watery excuse for beer the bars serve though!

I do stove-top boils - the brew kettle I got off eBay is large enough to fit over two burners on my gas cooker, so it does the job OK (though not as well as a turkey fryer would). I think Orfy uses a propane burner, though I'm not sure where he picked his up. H&G sell a couple (eg Hopandgrape Store PROPANE GAS RING ) but they're way more expensive than the turkey fryers available in the US. :(

BTW, I still can't believe you guys deep fry entire turkeys. That seems so wrong, yet probably so delicious.

Where are you based?

Lots of UK brewers use those boilers.
I'm still not convinced about scortching but ther seems to be no real issues.
They just use a kettle element.

I made my own with an immersion heater and fermenting bin.
I turned it on once without water in. It set it on fire and the element blew up!

If you have the facilities I'd convert a keg and use a gas burner.

if you are near one of the US air bases, talk to a Yank and ask them to get you a turkey fryer, i bet one of them would do it.

The OP, is that a plastic bucket with a heating element in it? Wouldn't it melt?
Looks like a cool solution to not having turkey fryers in every corner store.
How many Watts does that run?

Deep-frying turkeys is pretty good. I think that grilling them is even better. And, one doesn't have to worry about the hot oil burning the house down.

Brew on.

im not sure if Im on homebrewtalk or gordonramseycooksaturkey.com!!

Think I am going to try a kettle element in a 7 gallon bucket.

will let you know after the fire department have put my house out;)

to add the list of differences between our two great nations - the price of copper seems to be one. I Have lloked at making my own immersion cooler...and you are looking at £25 just for the copper which is what most peeps in the states seem to be spending on all their materials!

I was going to mention how I brined it the night before, and ask about gravy, but forget it now! :D

I just made a copper IC, and used 50' of 1/2 inch refridgeration tube. The tube set me back about $55 and then some misc parts another $10. So I made mine for about 1/2 of what a similar sized one would cost online. I could have saved about $20 making one that was 25feet. Copper is expensive, but the price has come down a bit from last summer.

Solder, er, Brew on.

Back