Hops to Have on Hand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to order some Hops from Niko's Homebrew. I figured I should get a pound to have on hand, but can't decide what would be best. I know I should consider what I brew and decide based on that. Trouble is I haven't brewed enough to have a favorite yet. Probable be an American Ale when I get there.

I was thinking Cascade or possibly the Northern Brewer. Any advice?

Cascade and NB are a favorite combo of mine to be honest. I finish my Cali Common with NB and Cascades.

Were it me, I would also pick up a high alpha hop and at least one English variety. But that is me.

I always find this question impossible to answer because I often don't know enought about what the brewer likes to brew, stylewise.

If you like American styles, Cascade and Centennial will get you far. A good clean bittering hop like Magnum, Nugget, or Warrior.

I brew lots and lots of English styles, so I salivate over EKG, Fuggles and Willamette. Galena as my high AA bittering hop.

For Belgians, Styrian Goldings or Saaz.

Williamette does double duty in lots of styles.

:mug:

I'll vote for my favorite.

Willamette

Good in beer from the english isle and surrounding, Good in American PA, Not too bad in Belgian styles

Willamette, a C hop, and Tett or Hallertau would cover most bases.

Latest posts

Back