All Rice Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmosphere

Reaction score
I want to try making a porter using just rice. I haven't been able to find whole rice locally, but I can find several types of rice including wild rice and black rice.
Should I roast all of it, or leave some un-roasted?

If I throw in rice hulls, will I need to add amylase?

You need diastatic power to convert the rice starches to sugar, I don't believe rice has any diastatic power on it's own. Hulls won't make a difference for dp. That's where the Moldy stuff comes in when it comes to sake at least.

Maybe rice syrup is the way to go, with some nongluten maltodextrin for body and steeping roasted wild rice for color.

Or try a sake kit, that's always looked like fun to me http://www.breworganic.com/sakekitwithkoji.aspx

You need diastatic power to convert the rice starches to sugar, I don't believe rice has any diastatic power on it's own. http://www.breworganic.com/sakekitwithkoji.aspx

You're right. You can purchase Amylase enzyme which will start breaking down the starches into sugars. There is a 1lb bag for sale here ttp://www.fermentationtrap.com/2230b.html. It says to use 1tsp for a five gallon batch. No idea how much to use in an all-rice recipe though.

It might be possible to malt some brown rice after getting it to germinate.
This post started to go in that direction from sake brewing but it never got followed up with.
But after sprouting the brown rice, which I guess produces an agrospire you can probably kiln/malt which should have the enzymes necessary for conversion in the mash. I couldn't find anything else on the internet verifying it works but it would be an interesting experiment in any event. :)

Cool let us know how it turns out, if you don't get conversion then I guess you can go forward with using the Amylase enzyme.

I want to try making a porter using just rice. I haven't been able to find whole rice locally, but I can find several types of rice including wild rice and black rice.
Should I roast all of it, or leave some un-roasted?

If I throw in rice hulls, will I need to add amylase?

If you aren't using any specialty grains you will need to roast some of your rice for color. When I used wild rice in my "stout" I found that not roasting the rice resulted in very little color being extracted. That said, roast it at 350-400 F until the rice cracks slightly (this rice was unmalted). To use you will want to crack it a bit and steep it- that's how I got the most color out of mine. But I guess if you're doing a mash you already knew that.

I tried mashing raw millet (pulverized in a coffee grinder) with alpha amylase and gamma amylase for over two hours and all I got was a SG of 1.005.

I tried mashing raw millet (pulverized in a coffee grinder) with alpha amylase and gamma amylase for over two hours and all I got was a SG of 1.005.

Was that even while at 150F or so? Had you boiled the millet first to try to de-gelatinize any of the starches?

Was that even while at 150F or so? Had you boiled the millet first to try to de-gelatinize any of the starches?

I didn't boil the millet, so that is verly likely what my problem was. It completely slipped my mind that the starches gelatinize at a higher temp. I was originally planning to experiment with the gamma-amylase using malted barley, but switched to millet at the last second because I had a small amount left over from trying to malt it. Obviously, I needed to change more than just swapping the grains.

I mashed a 1/2 pound in a small thermos with a grain/water ratio of about 1. It was mashed at 140F, which is more ideal for the gamma amylase and then strained with a french press.

I'll have to try again and remember to boil the grains.

If you aren't using any specialty grains you will need to roast some of your rice for color. When I used wild rice in my "stout" I found that not roasting the rice resulted in very little color being extracted. That said, roast it at 350-400 F until the rice cracks slightly (this rice was unmalted). To use you will want to crack it a bit and steep it- that's how I got the most color out of mine. But I guess if you're doing a mash you already knew that.

I am definitely planning on roasting most of the rice for flavor. I am hoping the black rice will contribute some color.

Just a heads up though. Just because the grain is darker doesn't mean that the color will translate into darker wort.

Here's an example:
07054677.JPG

The left-middle is malted and roasted Red Quinoa. The right-middle is malted and roasted White Quinoa. The two were malted and roasted at the same time under the same conditions, but the white quinoa actually ended up being much darker.

Not saying the same is true of rice, just thought you might want to know.

That is a very interesting observation, thanks for the photos. Once I get a chance to brew again, I'll try to follow up on this.

Just a heads up though. Just because the grain is darker doesn't mean that the color will translate into darker wort.

ok. i've never heard of black rice. can you tell me a little about it.

i'd like to add some gluten free adjuncts to a future brew, but i need to do quite a bit more research about all my choices.

I think those are just grains soaked in water...I could be wrong though.

Those were simply test batches of various specialty grains. All I did was boil some water, put it in a small french press, and steeped the grains for about 20-30 min. The test was for general flavor, flavor, mouthfeel, etc.

While not 100% accurate of final results it does give a good idea of what the color of the beer would be.

i'd like to add some gluten free adjuncts to a future brew, but i need to do quite a bit more research about all my choices.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard it tastes pretty much the same as white rice or brown rice.

I find the darker rice verieties to be a bit more robust in flavor.

Back