HBT NFL Mock Draft '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the delay!

With the 9th pick in the HBT Mock NFL draft, The Green Bay Packers select--Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi.

With Chad Clifton literally on his last legs, and the very real possibility of Mark Tauscher not returning to the team after an ACL tear, the tackle position is suddenly a huge need. Oher fits into the scheme as an immediate starter at RT, and possibly down the line he could move to LT when Clifton can't go anymore. Despite obvious needs on the defensive line, this is a safe pick and is insurance in protecting franchise QB Aaron Rodgers.

Holy crap that took you a long time. :D

Sorry for the delay!

With the 9th pick in the HBT Mock NFL draft, The Green Bay Packers select--Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi.

With Chad Clifton literally on his last legs, and the very real possibility of Mark Tauscher not returning to the team after an ACL tear, the tackle position is suddenly a huge need. Oher fits into the scheme as an immediate starter at RT, and possibly down the line he could move to LT when Clifton can't go anymore. Despite obvious needs on the defensive line, this is a safe pick and is insurance in protecting franchise QB Aaron Rodgers.

Dude is on the clock. I'm thinking Everette Brown.

Sorry for the delay!

So whats up with the 29 hour pick? I thought we were limited to 24? jk :D

Good pick. Lots of good tackles in this draft and thats usually a good way to improve the team.

Craig

Well, where to begin with this team. They seem to be close to the playoffs, but just need a little bit more.

The Niners take Andre Smith, OT - Alabama
Maybe that will do it.

BuffaloSabresBrewer is on the clock. I probably won't have a chance to check back in until tomorrow evening, so there may be a bit of a delay in pick notifications.

Lions need to trade Ernie Sims to Denver since they need so much help at LB for Jay Cutler. Then they can draft Aaron Curry @ #1. Sims is one concussion away from being the character LT played in "Any Given Sunday".

Wow this is my first post inn a long time. Back to work and lots of extra BS.
The Bills have not had a TE that can catch a pass in years so the Buffalo Bills are going to take Brandon Pettigrew tight end from Oklahoma State.

RICLARK is now on the clock for the Broncos.

schweaty - no way the Lions include Ernie Sims in a trade package. Not sure where the Any Given Sunday reference comes rom. He hits hard, but he hasn't missed much time at all since he's been in the league and only missed time once because of a concussion.

If Denver is effectively going to be forced to trade Cutler, do they draft Sanchez here? It's a wasted pick if you can patch things up with The Whiney One, but if it's really too late to salvage things with him you almost NEED to draft a QB. It would absolutely decimate any trade leverage they would have over Cutler, though.

Here's what I'm going to predict. Tampa's #1 pick (#19 overall), plus a conditional 2010 pick (2nd- to- 4th round) for Cutler. Denver drafts Sanchez at #12 and signs a vet stopgap guy (to complete the circle, maybe Garcia?) for 2009. Tampa gets their franchise QB, Denver gets a new face for the franchise, someone who sounds like much less of a primmadonna than Cutler (or Griese was earlier), grabs a 1st rounder in the sweet spot (#19), and gets a little something for 2010.

RICLARK and I had a deal ready, but after doing a bunch of reading today I really think that the Broncos and Cutler are going to patch things up because in the end, Cutler will realize that the Broncos don't *have* to trade him. He under contract and if he doesn't play out his contract for them, he won't play at all.

There's a reason that so many teams are interested in trading for him and it's because he's a known quantity. I don't believe that a rookie HC wants to strap his first coupel of seasons on to the back of someone like Sanchez.

Having said that, here's the deal that we almost did:

Detroit would have gotten QB Jay Cutler and TE Tony Scheffler.

Denver would have gotten the Lions #20 pick, their 2nd 6th round pick (#179 overall), and a conditional pick in 2010 that would have started at a 5th rounder and could have ended up as high as a 2nd rounder.

Again, I believe that somehow the Broncos will most likely make things right and Cutler will stay in Denver, so I felt that in an effort to keep this as realistic as possible we didn't do the deal.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/03/the_buzz_among_insiders_is_tha.html

With the 13th pick the Redskins select Tyson Jackson, DE - LSU.

I think that Washington would really like to take an OT here, but with the top 4 off of the board already they take one of the fastest rising prospects of the offseason in Tyson Jackson. Some pundits are predicting that Jackson may even go as high as #9 to Green Bay.

cuinrearview is now on the clock.

I'm thinking Jenkins for the Saints.

For some reason I didn't realize I was picking for the falcons.....Anyone know what there needs are? I know they lost Brooking.

For some reason I didn't realize I was picking for the falcons.....Anyone know what there needs are? I know they lost Brooking.
In the mocks I've seen, people have them pretty consistently picking OLB/DEs - Larry English, Tyson Jackson, Aaron Maybin, Clay Matthews.

Does anyone think that Josh Freeman is a 1st rounder?? I am starting to see him go higher and higher he must of had a hell of a pro day.

If Freeman's the third-best QB in the draft, I figure the J-E-T-S grab Sanchez, then you figure Tampa Bay, Detroit, and Minnessota all have to at least consider him. Sounds like it would be a reach for him to go in the 19 - 23 range, but you never know; none of those teams has a QB worth a damn between them.

Yeah, it's not always a case of whether a specific player gives value for a particular pick, but whether fixing a positional weakness would give value for it. If Freeman's the best QB available when the Jets are up, then although there are probably going to be better players than him available, they'd need to consider whether grabbing a great pass-rusher or OT would really be the smartest move when it means they're going to suck at QB all season long. Hypothetically, if they really think it's a reach to take Freeman at 17, then they could try to finesse it by dropping down a few spots. But if they end up missing out on him, it looks like being a real drop-off to the fourth-best QB in this draft - in which case they might as well wait until next year to get their franchise QB.

Since uglygoat appears to still be awol, I'd like to ask everyone else who is participating to think about who the Texans may pick at #15. I'll wait until cuinrearview makes his pick for the Saints before giving my thoughts.

I don't know; it seems to me in the years I've been paying attention, the teams that consistently do the best are those that draft the best player instead of reaching to fill a need. There's so much turnover in your personnel because of injuries and whathaveyou that even if you don't *need* a defensive lineman, if the guy who's clearly the best on the board happens to play DL you want to take him. Especially areas like the line and LB, where as far as I'm concerned you can't have too many great players.

With that said, if it's not THAT much of a reach, and it's a team like the JETS that has one need that supercedes all others, maybe you still make the pick.... but if you've got Freeman rated as the 40th-best player in the draft, you don't take him at #17.

Nobody talks about Bryon Leftwich; he's looked pretty decent at times, I know he's inconsistent but he seemed to do a good job for Pitt when Big Ben went down. Why wouldn't the JETS try and bring him aboard, give him the chance to win the job?

What about Detroit? Isn't he an improvement over Culpepper? If you're not going to draft Stafford at #1, and Sanchez isn't available at #20, wouldn't you rather go into next season with Leftwich battling Culpepper, with the idea that if they both suck you're planning to take a QB early in 2010 anyway?

As to Houston, sounds like they're looking in the linebacker/defensive line areas, want to have a more aggressive, attacking D. They were near the bottom of the league in sacks, middle-of-the-road in passing yards/game allowed but near the bottom in rushing yards allowed. Need some more playmakers on D; not a lot of picks (more pass rush would help).

I still think of them as giving up a lot of sacks, but that seems to be less the case these days.

I've lost track of who's left for impact defensive players; the best DE to pair with Mario Williams, or the best available LB is my call.

I don't know; it seems to me in the years I've been paying attention, the teams that consistently do the best are those that draft the best player instead of reaching to fill a need. There's so much turnover in your personnel because of injuries and whathaveyou that even if you don't *need* a defensive lineman, if the guy who's clearly the best on the board happens to play DL you want to take him. Especially areas like the line and LB, where as far as I'm concerned you can't have too many great players.

With that said, if it's not THAT much of a reach, and it's a team like the JETS that has one need that supercedes all others, maybe you still make the pick.... but if you've got Freeman rated as the 40th-best player in the draft, you don't take him at #17.

Nobody talks about Bryon Leftwich; he's looked pretty decent at times, I know he's inconsistent but he seemed to do a good job for Pitt when Big Ben went down. Why wouldn't the JETS try and bring him aboard, give him the chance to win the job?

What about Detroit? Isn't he an improvement over Culpepper? If you're not going to draft Stafford at #1, and Sanchez isn't available at #20, wouldn't you rather go into next season with Leftwich battling Culpepper, with the idea that if they both suck you're planning to take a QB early in 2010 anyway?

I too am surprised at the lack of interest in Byron. He always seemed to be a very good quarterback to me. Ofcourse I was usually watching him play against the Steelers and Jacksonville always seemed to play extra well against the the Steelers. Still if no one picks him up for a starting job that means Pittsburgh will get to keep him as a great backup.

I've felt that the best way to draft was to get the best players you could in the draft, whatever the position. However those teams that seem to do well, usually don't have immediate needs when drafting, allowing rookie players time to develop before taking a starting position. Steelers won the superbowl without any significant contribution from their rookies (1 start), however most of the starters were signed as rookies by Pittsburgh.

Craig

With the 14th pick the Saints have selected Malcolm Jenkins, CB - Ohio State

uglygoat is now officially on the clock.

I think it's Cushing here.

With the 14th pick the Texans have selected Malcolm Jenkins, CB - Ohio State

uglygoat is now officially on the clock.

I think it's Cushing here.

I think you meant Saints here.

How about Everett Brown for the Texans?
Seems many mocks have him going higher.

Craig

Yeah, Everette Brown.

The Good: An explosive, quick-twitch lineman who gets off the ball quickly and has the ability to consistently reach the corner. Has a long frame with impressive base strength for his size. Displays good body control off the edge with a coordinated spin move and good lateral mobility inside. Is technically sound for an underclassman and uses his arms well on counter moves.

The Bad: Might not have the size to hold up as an every down defensive end at the next level. Is being looked at as a 3-4 outside linebacker but has played consistently with his hand on the ground the past two years. Might have some trouble making the transition.

Everette Brown - College Football

I've seen him in the top five of some drafts. Doesn't sound like someone who's going to help the run D, but he'd potentially help out a lot in terms of getting to the QB. If he can't play the end, Houston can use some help at LB. Sounds like he's got the potential, at least, to be an impact playmaker, exactly what I think Houston needs.

Hey, if he wants to drop to #23, that's fine with me! No way he lasts this long IRL, though.

I agree. Brown being available this late is highly unlikely.

There is always a surprise player taken in the top 15 though. Likewise, there is always a consensus top 10 guy that falls to around this spot. Could be Brown, could be someone else.

If he falls, it sounds like it'll be because teams don't think he'll be able to transition to LB. Personally, I prefer the guys on the D-line to be bulkier, even when you have a guy that can be real disruptive to the passing game (I keep thinking back to Jevon Kearse when he first came into the league), so often they become liabilities in defending the run.

Everette Brown reminds me of Jamal Reynolds from 7 or 8 years ago, who was also from FSU. He's a guy that's too big and too inexperienced to play OLB in a 3-4, and not big enough to play DE in a 4-3.

Ask Dude how that Jamal Reynolds pick turned out for the Packers. :D

Ask Dude how that Jamal Reynolds pick turned out for the Packers. :D

I think they got him by trading Hasslebeck to the hawks in return for a draft pick, Thats one of the biggest wasted picks ever other then most of the Millen picks. Last I heard reynolds was with the Browns.

He's been out of football for 5 years. One of the all-time top 10 busts of the last 15 years or so.

Todd Marinovich
Tony Mandarich
Ryan Leaf
Heath Shuler
Charles Rogers
Mike Williams (WR - Detroit)
Courtney Brown
Ki-Jana Carter
Troy Williamson
Mike Williams (OT - Buffalo)
David Terrell
Akili Smith
Curtis Enis
Mike Mamula
Trev Alberts

You could probably fit Rick Mirer on that list, as well. I remember there was a lot of debate before the draft whether the Pats should take him or Drew Bledsoe. He floundered around the league for a while, but I think his arm strength could best be described as "Chad Pennington At Age 60."

Ki-Jana Carter got hurt, like immediately, didn't he?

You could probably fit Rick Mirer on that list, as well. I remember there was a lot of debate before the draft whether the Pats should take him or Drew Bledsoe. He floundered around the league for a while, but I think his arm strength could best be described as "Chad Pennington At Age 60."

Ki-Jana Carter got hurt, like immediately, didn't he?

Ya, Carter messed up his leg pretty bad in the 4th of 5th game of his rookie year and he was never the same.

I didn't include Mirer for the same reason that I didn't include Harrington. They both sucked, but they at least played in the league for a while and got significant playing time.

I'd still call Mirer a bust; not of Leaf proportions, but he never came even close to living up to his pre-draft hype.

There's certainly plenty to pick from!

So, this leads to the question... who's the most likely bust from the '09 draft? Brown? Stafford?

Back