HBT NFL Mock Draft '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Now that the Superbowl matchup is all set and in 2 weeks there will be nothing else in the NFL world to talk about until Free Agency starts at midnight on February 27th I thought it was time for a new thread.

For those that don't know by now, I have carried the curse of being a Lions fan most of my life. So while it may seem a bit premature to be talking about the draft before the Superbowl and even before Free Agency starts, realize that I am a Lions Fan. The draft *IS* my Superbowl. :D

For my fellow homebrewers that are NFL nuts like I am, we can BS about free agency and the draft here, and starting sometime around the middle of March (after most of the FA signings have been made) we'll start the mock draft.

Last year's mock draft can be found here.

Like last year, let me know if you want to participate and what team you want to pick for, GM's will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. I will be picking for the Lions. All other teams are available.

The 2009 NFL Draft order currently is as follows (the order in which ARZ and PIT pick will be determined by who wins the Superbowl):

I will be on the clock for the Lions beginning at 8 am, Monday March 16th.

1. Detroit Lions - Aaron Curry, LB - Wake Forest (ohiobrewtus)
2. St. Louis Rams - Jason Smith, OT - Baylor (Danek)
3. Kansas City Chiefs - BJ Raji, DT - Boston College (the_bird)
4. Seattle Seahawks - Matthew Stafford, QB - Georgia (cuinrearview)
5. Cleveland Browns - Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB - Texas (uglygoat)
6. Cincinnati Bengals - Eugene Monroe, OT - Virginia (CBBaron)
7. Oakland Raiders - Jeremy Maclin, WR - Missouri (eriktlupus)
8. Jacksonville Jaguars - Michael Crabtree, WR - Texas Tech (schweaty)
9. Green Bay Packers - Michael Oher, OT - Ole Miss (Dude)
10. San Francisco 49'ers - Andre Smith, OT - Alabama (neko)
11. Buffalo Bills - Brandon Pettigrew, TE - Oklahoma State (BuffaloSabresBrewer)
12. Denver Broncos - Michael Johnson, DE - Georgia Tech (RICLARK)
13. Washington Redskins - Tyson Jackson, DE - LSU (ohiobrewtus)
14. New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB - Ohio State (cuinrearview)
15. Houston Texans - Everette Brown, DE/OLB - Florida State (uglygoat)
16. San Diego Chargers - Rey Maualuga, LB - USC (hokster)
17. New York Jets - Mark Sanchez, QB - USC (Danek)
18. Chicago bears - Eben Britton, OT - Arizona (schweaty)
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Freeman, QB - Kansas State (Dude)
20. Detroit Lions (from Dallas) - Vontae Davis, CB - Illinois (ohiobrewtus)
21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB - Georgia (neko)
22. Minnesota Vikings - Percy Harvin, WR - Florida (BuffaloSabresBrewer)
23. New England Patriots - Brian Cushing, LB - USC (the_bird)
24. Atlanta Falcons - Clay Matthews, LB - USC (RICLARK)
25. Miami Dolphins - James Laurinaitis, LB - Ohio State (Limited Visibility)
26. Baltimore Ravens - Chris Wells, RB - Ohio State (eriktlupus)
27. Indianapolis Colts - Peria Jerry, DT - Ole Miss (Dude)
28. Philadelphia Eagles (from Carolina) - Hakeem Nicks, WR - North Carolina neko
29. New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR - Maryland (hokster)
30. Tennessee Titans - Ron Brace, DT - Boston College (the_bird)
31. Arizona Cardinals - Duke Robinson, G - Oklahoma (Limited Visibility)
32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Alphonso Smith, CB - Wake Forest (CBBaron)

Round 2
---------------------------------

33. Detroit Lions - Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT - Missouri (ohiobrewtus)
34. New England Patriots (from KC Matt Cassel) - Aaron Maybin, OLB - Penn State (the_bird)
35. St. Louis Rams - Kenny Britt, WR - Rutgers (Danek)
36. Cleveland Browns - Darius Butler, CB - Connecticut (uglygoat)
37. Seattle Seahawks - Patrick Chung, S - Oregon (cuinrearview)
38. Cincinnati Bengals - Alex Mack, C - California (CBBaron)
39. Jacksonville Jaguars - Donald Brown, RB - Connecticut (schweaty)
40. Oakland Raiders - Pat White, QB - West Virginia (eriktlupus)
41. Green Bay Packers - Robert Ayers, DE - Tennessee (Dude)
42. Buffalo Bills - Jarron Gilbert, DE/DT - San Jose State (BuffaloSabresBrewer)
43. San Francisco 49'ers - Louis Delmas, S - Western Michigan (neko)
44. Miami Dolphins (from WSH for Jason Taylor) - Louis Murphy, WR - Florida (Limited Visibility)
45. New York Giants (from NO for Jeremy Shockey) - LeSean McCoy, RB - Pittsburgh (hokster)
46. Houston Texans - Sean Smith, CB - Utah (uglygoat)
47. New England Patriots (from SD via trade in '08 draft) - Connor Barwin, OLB - Cincinnati (the_bird)
48. Denver Broncos - Larry English, DE/OLB - Northern Illinois (RICLARK)
49. Chicago Bears - Brian Robiskie, WR - Ohio State (schweaty)
50. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Fili Moala, DT - USC (Dude)
51. Dallas Cowboys - William Moore, S - Missouri (ohiobrewtus)
52. New York Jets - Juaquin Iglesias, WR - Oklahoma (Danek)
53. Philadelphia Eagles - William Beatty, OT - Connecticut (neko)
54. Minnesota Vikings - DJ Moore, CB - Vanderbilt (BuffaloSabresBrewer)
55. Atlanta Falcons - Mike Mickens, CB - Cintinnati (RICLARK)
56. Miami Dolphins - Marcus Freeman, LB - Ohio State (Limited Visibility)
57. Baltimore Ravens - Clint Sintim, OLB - Virginia (eriktlupus)
58. New England Patriots - Max Unger, G/C - Oregon (the_bird)
59. Carolina Panthers - Sen'Derrick Marks, DT - Auburn ohiobrewtus
60. New York Giants - Jemon Meredith, OT - South Carolina (hokster)
61. Indianapolis Colts - Andre Brown, RB - NC State (Dude)
62. Tennessee Titans - Sherrod Martin, CB - Troy (the_bird)
63. Arizona Cardinals - Shawn Nelson, TE - Southern Mississippi (Limited Visibility)
64. Pittsburgh Steelers - Eric Wood, C - Louisville (CBBaron)

And just because I want to make another pick:

Round 3
---------------------------------

65. Detroit Lions - Phil Loadholt, OT - Oklahoma (ohiobrewtus)

We will most likely do a 2 round mock draft, so you may have to do a little research. Once the draft starts, I will PM you to let you know that you are on the clock. For the first round, you will have 24 hours to make your selection from the time that I send you the PM. If you don't get your selection back to me in time, I will make the pick for you and the next person is then on the clock.

Being a Lion's fan is not a curse. It's actually pretty easy. Our expectations are always met. My superbowl is in April as well, so you can count me in and assign me to the team of your choosing since you already got the perennial superstar of the draft.

Being a Lion's fan is not a curse. It's actually pretty easy. Our expectations are always met. My superbowl is in April as well, so you can count me in and assign me to the team of your choosing since you already got the perennial superstar of the draft.

I'll assign you to a team that's left after there are more replies. Last year there were only 6 or so of us that participated, so you may get assigned to more than one team.

Thanks ohio, I'll take the dolphins too if no one has them

If we end up with the same interest that we had last year - which is about what I expect - then I'll give you the Dolphins, too. If someone else wants to participate and wants the Dolphins I'm going to give it to them.

Dude, goat, bird are all in (OP updated).

Where are the rest of the FFB folks? Do you think that any of them would be interested?

Seems cool to me. I'm taking the Niners.

Does Philly have two teams now??? #21 and #28:D

OB what do you want more? Stafford or a big OT like Smith?

If Bradford had come out, I'd be clamoring for them to take him #1 overall. As it stands, I like Eugene Monroe, Malcolm Jenkins, Aaron Curry or Michael Oher.

I don't think that Stafford or Sanchez are worth the #1 overall pick, and I know that new head coach Jim Schwartz' recommendation to GM Martin Mayhew will NOT be a QB.

I've been watching film of Andre Smith and I'm not sure that his footwork is good enough to be a starting LT. I think he's better suited to RT. His weight also concerns me. He's 340. When he gets tens of millions in the bank and he's on his own I'm not so sure that he has the work ethic and dedication to keep his weight under control.

I think that the Lions would be best served taking Monroe or Oher if they want to go OT. I also think that CB Malcolm Jenkins and LB Aaron Curry are both options at #1 overall.

I'm hoping that either Stafford or Sanchez will fall to them at #20, although this is highly unlikely. I'd rather see them pass on a QB this year and hope for the best next year in a much stronger QB class with Bradford and McCoy.

If they take Stafford I am buring all my Lions gear, period! I do not want them to take Andre Smith, he has weight and character issues and reminds me too much of another #1 pick, Aaron Gibson. I'd like to see them trade down and take Jenkins or Maualuga. With The Schwartz as coach now I can only hope he drafts D and lures Albert Haynesworth to Detroit. One can hope, right?

Trading down is certainly the best option for the Lions, but also the least likely. It's very easy for a fan to say that they need to trade down. It's much more difficult for them to actually find a trade partner that's willing to give up everything required to move up to the #1 overall pick. This year it's almost impossible as there isn't a clear #1 overall pick as there has been in previous years.

True brewtus, but we haven't seen the combine yet either. A year ago I would have told you that it was next to impossible for the Lions to trade Roy Williams (who was in the last year of his contract) for a 1st round and 3rd round pick. I guess anything is possible, we just have to hope that #1 guy emerges from the pack or someone falls in love with a player they absolutely have to have.

Are you going to be allocating the other slots to the rest of us? If possible, don't give me the J-E-T-S unless you want to see the first time ever that a punter is taken in the first round.

Are you going to be allocating the other slots to the rest of us? If possible, don't give me the J-E-T-S unless you want to see the first time ever that a punter is taken in the first round.

Yup. I'll give others through the 1st week of March or so to sign up. Teams that don't have anyone assigned to them will be spread out aomngst those who have already signed up.

hokster, you're in for the Giants.

2 more people and everyone picks for 2 teams. If we get to that point I wouldn't care if people evne picked who they wanted their 2nd team to be.

I'm willing to try to improve the Bungles roster as my second team, if noone else claims them.

Craig

If we're divvying teams up, I'll take the Jets and the Rams - though if anyone else's keen to have them, I'll happily swap.

Hopefully we can get a couple more people to sign up for a primary team in the next few weeks, then I'll go back and get everyone's secondary choices.

If you know an HBT'er who might be interested but hasn't signed up yet, let them know about it.

GM assignments are complete. Barring any late requests to be included, this is what we'll be working with. Please take note of the selections that you have.

So, how are you handling it if someone doesn't get their pick in in time? Will you be making the pick for them, or will it just be a "pass" a la the Vikings a couple years back?

So, how are you handling it if someone doesn't get their pick in in time? Will you be making the pick for them, or will it just be a "pass" a la the Vikings a couple years back?

In the second post he states he will make the pick.

My question is when does this start? I want to make sure i do my research before i'm on the clock.

Craig

Back