Belgian Wheat...18 days of active fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotastic

Reaction score
Yeah so I've had active airlock bubbling for like 18 days now....i can still see little particles moving around in the brew....Is that normal?

I had used a blow-off tube for the first week which was key cuz I had a ton of krausen go into my bowl.

OG was right around 1.050 like ti should have been and this was an extract kit.

I know that the belgians yeast is usually pretty active stuff but does this seem right?

still see particles at 18 days?? wow...i don't think i've ever experienced that. I've had my krausen stick for weeks, tho. doesn't mean anything is wrong. maybe the yeast is just taking it's time...ya know, enjoying itself.

Yeah I'm relatively new at this but this is a little crazy.

I wanted to transfer it to a secondary like 1-1/2 weeks ago too.

Obviously I'll have to take some gravity readings but does this mean that once my activity goes away I should still let it sit for another week or two so the yeast can clean up after themselves?

Let it do its thing. I brew a lot of Belgians and they do take their sweet @ss time. I had a dark strong go for 5 weeks in the primary and 4 weeks in the secondary. Granted it was a 1.089 OG. Be patient.

What Temp are you Fermenting at? If you are Fermenting at a cooler temp, the yeast will take longer to complete Fermentation. Also, what Yeast did you use?

I'm at about 70-72 degrees.

Yeast was a white labs belgian wit wlp400

So I'm now up to 3 weeks with airlock activity :)

So I'm assuming that once my activity finally stops....I should still give it another week or two to let the yeast clean up correct?

Does it make snese to even use a secondary since it is a wheat beer and would probably be naturally cloudy anyway?

Back