Drunken Chicken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beere

Deep Six Brewing Co.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did Drunken Chicken for the second time on my BGE (Big Green Egg) today - turned out great! I don't have any beer in cans so I just washed some soda cans and filled each half full with beer. I decided to use Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale this time, which worked really well.

To prepare the chicken I put on a light coating of vegetable oil and then a heathy dose of McCormick's Poultry rub. Set the egg to 300 degrees and let them cook for two hours until the internal temperature was 185. After pulling them off the grill and removing the cans, I let them sit for 15~20 minutes before carving.

drunken_chicken.jpg

'Round here we call that "beer-butt chicken" :) I could eat it at least twice a week.

Good call on coating it oil before seasoning, I hadn't heard of doing that before. If you haven't tried it, Blues Hog makes a really good seasoning for smoking chicken/turkey.

8bhpc36.jpg

Drunk Chicken on my Brinkmann.

Coors Light in the "Culo" and Apfelwein in the water bowl beneath.

Back