Austin Texas group buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moerdertaktiken

Reaction score
Seems like there's a lot of interest in an Austin group buy. Never done one before, and wouldn't know how to go about something like that, but I'm sure someone around here does! Chime in and let's get this going!

I'm from corpus but will drive up to pickup grain in person which should comply with hbt rules.

I would be in for 3 sacks

Hi, in case you did not know, the grain suppliers have generally stopped selling to homebrewers directly. There were some old accounts that were grandfathered in, but I understand that under pressure earlier this year from homebrew supply shops, the grain companies stopped those too. I believe your prospective group needs to tag onto orders filled by a brewery (with a TTB license), and it will all be drop shippd to them. (edit-- or affiliate with a homebrew store like Austin Homebrew).
I could be wrong on some details. If you are serious, you should snoop around the other group buy threads and/or contact the organizers that still keep them running for some advice. cheers.

Well I hope that is not the case, Because I am not a fan of dealing with my local shop.

What little stuff they have is over priced, and I Would rather drive to San Antonio 2 hours drive away or Austin to get supplies and make a day of it.

Some of them are real nice, like the one homebrewer guy usually there, but it is a only if it breaks.

I will check their prices next week and report back.

I am pretty sure I bought my bulk grain from AHS, a sack of pale and a sack of marris otter.

CCBrewer said:
Well I hope that is not the case
My post was to say that it is not the end of buying bulk grain, you just need a new hook-up. I got three sacks this year when someone got a contact at a local brewery that added our order to theirs. The organizers rented a UHaul and took over 100 sacks for the homebrewers. Ask around and good luck.

I called my local store, $83 for a sack of vienna Weyer, same sack 140 miles away $61.

6 row rahr local price 60.00 vs. briess 6row 140 miles away $50

Talk about mark'd up prices

I just moved to the area and am hoping to get back into brewing... I sold all my grain before moving :(... is Black Star Co Op... maybe if you/we/whoever is a member, we could get grain added to their orders and pay for it. Seems as a "owner" you should have that right/ability...

Anyone interested in one? Or have any ideas on how to get one setup? I've participated with one in the DFW area... but would like to get some grain now that I'm moved.

Yeastieboy,

You do realize this thread was well over 2 years old. Last reply was February 2014.

It maybe time to start a new one. Either way, I'm in for a few sacks.

Latest posts

Back