What's your favorite beer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
First, my apologies if something like this already exists...

However, if not, let's post our favorite commercially available beers (by style). I'm always looking for something new to try and would love to get some new ideas.

I'll start off. My selections may seem a bit generic but I'm reasonably new to the wonderful world of "non-BMC" beer (have my first homebrew 2 weeks in the bottles) and may be a bit limited in my pool of choices!

IPA: Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Oktoberfest: Hooker Oktoberfest
APA: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Porter: Sierra Nevada Porter
Stout: Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Fruit Infused: Sweetwater Blue

:mug:

Craig311 said:
First, my apologies if something like this already exists...

However, if not, let's post our favorite commercially available beers (by style). I'm always looking for something new to try and would love to get some new ideas.

I'll start off. My selections may seem a bit generic but I'm reasonably new to the wonderful world of "non-BMC" beer (have my first homebrew 2 weeks in the bottles) and may be a bit limited in my pool of choices!

IPA: Dogfish Head 90 Min IPA
Oktoberfest: Hooker Oktoberfest
APA: Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
Porter: Sierra Nevada Porter
Fruit Infused: Sweetwater Blue

:mug:

SN Celebration is an IPA :p

My favourite style is Barleywine. Both Great Divide and Avery do a great job with theirs. I'm also partial to Belgian Strong Darks such as Westmalle, Rochefort, and Unibroue's Trois Pistoles.

I also love Maibocks, but I can't find that many nor do I have the capacity to brew them at home.

For an everyday type beer I prefer a Nut Brown or Pale Ale. Sam Smiths and Flying Dog do it for me in those depts., respectively.

Thanks for pointing me to the other thread. I went and picked up a 6 pack of Anchor Porter this evening and already would have had to change my original post! This stuff is great!!

yeah, but that thread started in october and died! :p

let's see now...

Wheat Beer: Franziskaner, Paulaner (can't choose, sorry)
APA: Liberty Ale
Cali Common: Anchor Steam
Brown Ale: New Castle (never really tried other brown ales)
Dark Strong Ale: Gulden Draak, Trois Pistoles
Belgian Triple: Chimay, Piraat

Other: Maudite, Skullsplitter...

that's it off the top of my head.

EDIT: Yeah, anchor makes a good porter ;)

DeathBrewer said:
yeah, but that thread started in october and died! :p

let's see now...

Wheat Beer: Franziskaner, Paulaner (can't choose, sorry)
APA: Liberty Ale
Cali Common: Anchor Steam
Brown Ale: New Castle (never really tried other brown ales)
Dark Strong Ale: Gulden Draak, Trois Pistoles
Belgian Triple: Chimay, Piraat

Other: Maudite, Skullsplitter...

that's it off the top of my head.

EDIT: Yeah, anchor makes a good porter ;)

On my third Anchor Porter and will have to stop myself from having all 6 (or not!). The Liberty Ale is on my list to try this week. I've really enjoyed all of the Sierra Nevada, Anchor, and Flying Dog beers I've had so far.

As for New Castle... My first homebrew is a newcastle (DME) clone and has been bottled for almost 2 weeks now. I tried one after 1 week in the bottle and have high hopes for it. The bottled New Castle I've had always seems a bit skunky. My beer, while short on carbonation after only a week, was much better!! Can't wait to pop one open after a good month in the bottles. :rockin:

Berkshire Brewing Company Coffeehouse Porter is my favorite. They are out of South Deerfield Mass. Hefeweizen is great also.

Mustangfreak said:
My fav commercial beer is Pyramid Hefeweizen.
I'm not a big fan of Pyramid's brews. I used to go there all the time to "Beer:30" when they had cheap samples and appetizers, but when they cut that deal...I was out.

I still drink it at my local bar alot...they don't really have anything good there, tho. i make a much better hefeweizen ;)

Can't really say it's my favorite beer, but I've been drinking it a lot lately: Blue Moon

Just got back from Munich and it seems to be the closest to the German Hefes.

SWMBO loves to mix Blue moon with coca cola too. <----Something she picked up in Munich:mug:

It depends on my mood.

In general I tend to like British sytle ales. Love a good ESB, porter, stout or nut brown.

However, now and then I happily down IPAs and APAs. :)

anything by stone is great. love their ipa, love ruination.

i like red hook esb

i like the porter from indianapolis ram brewing

i like warstiener dunkel

i like hobgoblin

i like two hearted ale

i like IPA's a lot.

i will drink almost anything.

i haven't had to buy beer in a long time though, because i think my all grain "custom" beers are much better than all of these, and i brew a lot.

Favorite Beers

IPA: My own, which is almost gone.
Porter: Descheutes Black Butte Porter
Lager: Kona Longboard Lager
Belgian Style: Fat Tire Trippel/ Chimay Blue
ESB: Red Hook ESB
Hefe: Widmer (American Style)
Stout: Old Rasputin RIS
Pale Ale: Sierra Nevada
Barleywine: Sierra Nevada Bigoot

Other good beers: Hobgoblin, Gordon Biersh Hefeweizen, Alaskan Smoked Porter,
Arrogant Bastard.

Trying to pick a favorite beer in any given category would be like picking a favorite child, but there are a few beers that stand out in a give style.

Hefeweizen - Paulaner hands down. I really dislike Pyramid and Widmer.

Stout - It's hard not to go with Guiness for this one. I still think it's one of the best stouts I've had.

Porter - Since I don't care much for this style (I think way too many microbreweries go NUTS with the roasted/chocolate/black malts), I absolutely love Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter.

Brown/Nut Brown - Again, I'd go with Samuel Smith.

IPA - Stone IPA, and if I'm really feeling it, a nice Ruination IPA :rockin:

Pilsner - Probably Pilsner Urquell

I would have too hard a time picking a single beer from the other style categories.

DeathBrewer said:
I'm not a big fan of Pyramid's brews. I used to go there all the time to "Beer:30" when they had cheap samples and appetizers, but when they cut that deal...I was out.

I still drink it at my local bar alot...they don't really have anything good there, tho. i make a much better hefeweizen ;)

Got the recipe online?:D

I saw Sam Adams Hefe on the shelf today, I'm gonna have to try that out.:cross:

Stone's Double Bastard
Victory Hop Devil
Stoudts Smooth Hoperator
Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Legacy Brewing Hedoism

Bill said:
Can't really say it's my favorite beer, but I've been drinking it a lot lately: Blue Moon

Just got back from Munich and it seems to be the closest to the German Hefes.

SWMBO loves to mix Blue moon with coca cola too. <----Something she picked up in Munich:mug:

Interesting since Blue Moon is supposed to be a Belgian White.

Honestly, my favorite beer really depends on the mood.

However, lately I have really been impressed with Two Brother's Cane and Eble. It's a mighty tasty hopped up red rye beer. Yummy stuff!

Oak aged Yeti imperial stout travels the gambit on one bottle! The first taste was the most delicious beer ever. By the bottom of the bottle it was tasting like guiness that had been in a hard wood smoker for two days or so.

Lake Superior Mesabi Red is the nectar of the Gods IMHO. Pretty much only available in MN might not qualify as a "commercial brew" but favorite beer it is. "Five malt varieties balance by 4 generous hop additions of 3 varieties in this robust American strong ale" I mean, who wouldn't like that?

paraphrased the description as I do not have a sixer in front of me but you get the point

It's hard to choose, but here are a few of mine:

Bell's Two Hearted IPA
Paulaner Hefeweizen
Hoegaarden
Anchor Porter
Chimay Grande Reserve (Blue)
Pilsner Urquell
Alaskan Smoked Porter

A few that I *know* are in my all-time top ten are:

Pliny the Elder
Alaskan Smoked Porter
Russian River Santification
Stone 10th Anniversary
Stone Ruination

Beyond that, it's tough... McNeill's ESB. Smuttynose IPA. SNPA's a classic, and Hobgoblin hits the spot when I want something sweeter. I really like Hennepin, but I haven't had enough beers of that style to know if it's really a terrific example. There's a smoked stout up at Vt Pub & Brewery that's really outstanding, and locally, the Pittsfield Brew Work's IPA (can't remember the name) is absolutely phenomenal when on cask (and still pretty good otherwise).

Too many choices, don't make me pick!

Since it isn't my opinion I hope it is OK, but I am pleased to say that my Dad's favorite beer is the route 66 IPA that I brewed. So help me God. If you knew him, you'd be impressed lol.

These are my favourite Canadian beers.

Pale Ale - Mill Street Tankhouse
Stout - St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout
Barleywine - Granite Gin Lane Ale
Lager -King Dark Lager
Wheat - Denison's Weissbier
For a session - Niagara Gritstone Ale OR Black Oak Nut Brown
For non-craft beer lovers - King pilsner

Right now, my favorite is Sam Adams Winter Lager.

Not sure why, but it is just so damn tasty. Maybe because AmberBock used to be my favorite beer and this is what AmberBock should taste like.

Here are a few of my favorites from the more popular style categories...

Amber Ale - Great Divide Ridgeline Amber
APA - Flying Dog Double Dog
Barley Wine - Real Ale Sisyphus
Belgian - North Coast Cru dOr
Bock - Ayinger Celebrator
Brown - DFH India Brown Ale
Hefe/Wheat - Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier
Stout - Victory Storm King
IPA/IIPA - Great Divide Hercules
Porter - Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter/ Bells Porter
Scottish Ale - Odell 90/-
ESB - New Belgium 2° Below Winter Ale