New way to control Pellet Hop gunk!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you brewing during the week? Jealous!!

I bought the smaller diameter one and then bought the 6" one, as I was unable to do more than about 4-6 oz of hops without issues in the way my process works. Turned out good though as I find I use two of them all the time. When I fill the kettle from the MLT, I use it to filter out grain that gets under/through the false bottom. I recirculate when I am cooling through my plate chiller, so I use it to catch break material and to recirculate through the hops. Having a second one allows me to clean one while using the other, as well as doing PtE and other IIPA's with a pound or more of hops.

HA! I was "working" from home today. I do every Wednesday. :D

That's a good idea about using it to filter the grains that make it through the MLT. I've been using a hop filter bag to catch the stuff that makes it trough but ill prob use this now since its easy to attach to the side of the kettle and drop the tube into it.

View attachment 224471

Either the guy on eBay is using your picture or you are the guy selling them on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Ironically enough I met Chad on eBay and he still uses pics that I've sent him from various brew days both on his website and his ebaystore. He's a great guy and his products rock! I still use some custom filters at my nano brewery and will have him fab me up some new ones when my bigger system comes in.....

marcb can respond for himself, but as a longtime follower on this thread, I know he's purchased a TON of them from Chad, experimenting with various designs. Is it a problem if he wants to clean house and sell the ones he is no longer using?

Thanks but that's Chad using some of my brew day pics on his ebaystore. Do the record I haven't sold one of these, they have been traded or went with various systems I've built and sold during my insanity over the past few years!

I just thought it was weird. Wanted to let you know.

What size is recommended to use in converted kegs for 5 and 10 gallon batches?

Heady topper clone. Worked like a charm. Don't know the exact amount of hops. But I'd say around 8 ounces or so.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411232417.413328.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411232433.157505.jpg

That's amazing. Mine would be covered with that break material that is on the bottom and the drained hops would be nowhere near as compact.

Some stuff still made it to the fermentor but not much. And that's all I was aiming for. Just trying to avoid clogging my cfc.

Not sure why it took me til today to see this thread, ha.

Think I'll be pretty interested in contacting Chad to make one to fit my old primary bucket / bottling bucket, then dump all the wort from BK into that and squeeze the trub with something...then aerate in the bucket and siphon to carboy for primary.

I received my new BIAB basket today and it looks great. It fits perfectly inside my 15 gallon kettle and it has 3 inch feet so it sits up off of the heating element. I also ordered it with a swing handle so that I can use a pulley to suspend it above the kettle.

The last basket I ordered from Chad worked great but it ended up being a little too small for high gravity batches. I posted some pics of it here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-way-control-pellet-hop-gunk-352293/index114.html#post6314212. This new basket is huge so I shouldn't have any problems.

Basket1.jpg

Basket3.jpg

Basket4.jpg

Not sure why it took me til today to see this thread, ha.

Think I'll be pretty interested in contacting Chad to make one to fit my old primary bucket / bottling bucket, then dump all the wort from BK into that and squeeze the trub with something...then aerate in the bucket and siphon to carboy for primary.

Chad's SS baskets for BK's & tubes for dry hopping are the best!!
I have used them for a couple of years & couldn't be happier with the outcomes.

I received my new BIAB basket today and it looks great. It fits perfectly inside my 15 gallon kettle and it has 3 inch feet so it sits up off of the heating element. I also ordered it with a swing handle so that I can use a pulley to suspend it above the kettle.

The last basket I ordered from Chad worked great but it ended up being a little too small for high gravity batches. I posted some pics of it here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-way-control-pellet-hop-gunk-352293/index114.html#post6314212. This new basket is huge so I shouldn't have any problems.

Love it! I would definitely think that would be easier to work with than mine under the lip for additional capacity. Since I have a three barrel in the garage now I'm probably going to have to start selling off some of my smaller gear now....
I

Can you do 10 gallons with that BIAB basket?

You can definitely do 10 gallon batches but I think higher gravity beers (1.075+) could be an issue with a full volume mash. The basket comes up to the very top of the kettle so it can hold quite a bit of grain without overflowing. I brew 6 gallon batches so it's perfect for my needs.

For high OG 10 gallon batches a 20 gallon kettle with this same style of basket would be perfect.

Just finished reading the whole thread. Already put in an order for a small custom filter for my current setup (small batch BIAB). It's probably overkill for me, but I see good potential for using this in multiple steps of the process (hop screen, filtering from kettle to fermenter, and as a submerged filter from fermenter to bottling bucket).

I also really like the looks of wobdee's setup and I see something similar as part the eventual next step in my brewing career. See #'s 8a/b/c on Chad's custom filter page too: Custom Filters

Thanks to everyone for contributing and posting their ideas/findings/results. :mug:

I am looking for one just like this. I have the same kettle with element on bottom and recirculate.
What are the dimensions of this one? Also, is this 400 micron? Any problem with recirculation flow? Do you boil w/ the strainer in too?

I am looking for one just like this. I have the same kettle with element on bottom and recirculate.
What are the dimensions of this one? Also, is this 400 micron? Any problem with recirculation flow? Do you boil w/ the strainer in too?

The dimensions are 14" D x 15" H. It also has 3" feet on the bottom to keep the basket above the element. So with the feet it is actually 18" in height.

The basket is 400 micron which works perfectly with my recirculation system. I keep the pump around 1/3 of the way open during the mash and I have had very clear wort with no issues with a stuck sparge. I got 80% efficiency on my last mash.

I don't use the strainer basket during the boil, it's not necessary. I only use the 300 micron hop filter that Chad made for me.

I ordered the corny and keggle filter and have to say that their customer service, quality, and product is exceptional. While I have not worked with Chad, Graydon has been my point of contact.

These guys rock.

I just ordered one of these. I am returning my (more expensive and frustrating) Blichmann hopblocker. I love the simplicity of this hop spider.

I have bottom drain electric keggle. I wonder if small diameter (the same as the ID of the keg neck) screen tube standing straight up like the original spear would clog badly during draining. It will clear my heater and allow the use of the immersion cooler. If it would work, it should keep all the junk in the kettle instead of the fermenter.

I have bottom drain electric keggle. I wonder if small diameter (the same as the ID of the keg neck) screen tube standing straight up like the original spear would clog badly during draining. It will clear my heater and allow the use of the immersion cooler. If it would work, it should keep all the junk in the kettle instead of the fermenter.

Way too small of a diameter unless you only brew European beers with extremely light hop bills. I recommend 8" diameter for less clogging and better perfusion although many are happy with their 6" diameter filters.

Sorry, I should have explained better. Hops go outside of the tube, just like no screen at all. The draining liquid goes thru the screen on the way out.

Sorry, I should have explained better. Hops go outside of the tube, just like no screen at all. The draining liquid goes thru the screen on the way out.

It may work in the beginning when the wort is high in the kettle. But the more you drain the wort the more trub will settle toward the bottom. To get the last few gallons out you'll need a larger filter surface than a skinny tube to prevent early clogging. Do a search for hop taco to see a nice trub cake.

I looked into all the various filtering methods out there (like the hop blocker, hop stopper, taco, etc) and using a bag or basket filter is about as worry free as it gets. You may get some under utilization (use a bigger basket) with a lot of hops, but you'll never get stuck or wait a really long time for your wort to make it out the BK. Like everything there are trade offs.

You can definitely do 10 gallon batches but I think higher gravity beers (1.075+) could be an issue with a full volume mash. The basket comes up to the very top of the kettle so it can hold quite a bit of grain without overflowing. I brew 6 gallon batches so it's perfect for my needs.

For high OG 10 gallon batches a 20 gallon kettle with this same style of basket would be perfect.

Yeah, I have a 15 gallon kettle all set up with an electric element etc. It takes me apex 15 total gallons of water to get 10.5-11 gallons finished. I/m trying to slim line my setup and get rid of my cooler mash tun. Guess the only two options are to either start over with a 20 gallon kettle or do smaller batches.

What's the fitting for the bottom drain? There are tri clover filters that work great that I use for kegging of dry hop beers straight out of the fermenter. If you are using the keg fitting from a sanke then you are probably using a 2" tri clover.

Yes, I use a 2" triclover. I was thinking about using a screen tube that would just push into the neck of the keggle and bottom against the 2' X 1/2" adapter.

Alright i just tried for like 45 minutes to read this thread and find the answer to my question but I can't make it through all of the information. I apologize in advance if this is already discussed here.

I have a 14 gallon brew kettle that is 19.25" high. I'm trying to figure out which strainer to buy. SS brewing has an 18" model but i'm not sure how i feel about the arms vice the tabs that hold it to the side of the kettle like the arborfab ones. Arbor fab doesn't have a standard model that is 18".

I guess my question is will the arborfab 19" one work for me or is that not enough clearance at the bottom of the kettle. I sent them an email but figured i would ask here as well. I do 5 and 10 gallon batches in that kettle.

Thanks

Alright i just tried for like 45 minutes to read this thread and find the answer to my question but I can't make it through all of the information. I apologize in advance if this is already discussed here.

I have a 14 gallon brew kettle that is 19.25" high. I'm trying to figure out which strainer to buy. SS brewing has an 18" model but i'm not sure how i feel about the arms vice the tabs that hold it to the side of the kettle like the arborfab ones. Arbor fab doesn't have a standard model that is 18".

I guess my question is will the arborfab 19" one work for me or is that not enough clearance at the bottom of the kettle. I sent them an email but figured i would ask here as well. I do 5 and 10 gallon batches in that kettle.

Thanks

Not sure, but I had him (arborfab) make me some custom stuff for a reasonable price a bit ago. Could ask about that.

Not sure, but I had him (arborfab) make me some custom stuff for a reasonable price a bit ago. Could ask about that.

Second that, I have sent Chad from arbor pictures of scribbling on bar napkins and he has inexpensively turned them into reality. Don't hesitate to email him, he's a great guy! I'm about to have him build the craziest version yet for my 3BBL electric pilot rig.

Ditto! I had him custom make my last one for my exact kettle setup. He knocked it out of the park and it is STILL one of the best pieces of kit I have ever bought. Love this thing as it makes what ends up in the fermenter so much cleaner and clearer than before...best of luck!

Thanks

I've had Chad @ Arbor Fabricating make several custom baskets for me. Two for different BK's & two for dry hopping in my BB's. That've been fairly priced, quickly produced & delivered & excellent quality.

I got my custom filter from Chad and it looks awesome. Can't wait to use it. He made it really fast and shipped it really fast. Couldn't be happier at this point.

I got my custom filter from Chad and it looks awesome. Can't wait to use it. He made it really fast and shipped it really fast. Couldn't be happier at this point.

He's awesome. I'll put some pics up when I receive the new one he's building for my 3BBL!

Looks like he has a 6x11 standard basket - I think I'm going to go with one of those.

Any thoughts on using the corney hoppers in a conical? Mine has a 3" access port, so it seems like I could use them for that as well.

Also thinking about having him fab some baskets I can use for hop drying ... or using his barrel filter baskets and stacking a bunch with a fan setup (sick of picking petals out of air filters).

Could you do a 2-stage filter? Take a 6 inch 300 micron screen to catch the smaller stuff and put a 400 micron screen inside of it to hold all the larger particles. Then pull the 400 filter out so you can add the late hop additions to the larger filter. I don't know....just a thought.

Back