Green Flash brewery - recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimpanogosSlim

Reaction score
Next week i will be working at a resort/conference hotel in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego.

I see that the Green Flash brewery / brew-pub will be within walking distance.

Any locals or other people who have been there have recommendations on food & beverage?

I have seen positive comments about their IPA but i am not strictly an IPA guy - i like a good american amber or porter from time to time.

And there is always the food, of course, and yelp etc don't really seem to say much.

Well food wise any of their burgers are good! And far as brews go they specialize in IPA style beers. Half their beers are different styled IPA's but if you like Stouts the have a double stout black ale that is good. They also have a great barley wine! Personally my favorite is their West Coast IPA and Imperial IPA.

They recently started stocking Green Flash at a local store here. I have yet to try any of the Green Flash brews that weren't great. As mentioned, the double black stout is good. Hophead Red is pretty decent, as is their basic IPA. Their Imperial IPA is one of my current favorites of that type. Simply an awesome beer! Finally, I tried Le Freak on my last trip down there and was pleasantly surprised. I am usually not a fan of Belgian-style stuff, but that one is GOOD. I have a feeling that you won't really go wrong with any of their stuff.

Barley wine is often too sweet for me. I like an IPA but recently, potentially due to medication changes, I am way more sensitive to bitterants than i recall being at any time in my life, so unless they have a burns-the-hair-off-your-feet curry i might not order an IPA.

but i might try the WCIPA anyway.

Yeah! SD is great for both food and beer. Def check out stone if youve never been (but
Its a drive) but if you're only up for walking go to Neighborhood. And hamiltons if you're willing to cab. Hamiltons is by far the best beer bar I've ever been to. Ranked as one of the best too!

Enjoy!

Well, I won't have a vehicle unless i spring for rental on my own dime. I'll be at Catamaran fwiw, though next Friday i will be free on my own recognizance and could meet up with folks thursday night if that's possible.

Sunday morning through Thursday mid-day i will be beholden to my employer and their customers. Thursday night through Saturday morning are my gift to myself for the trouble of flying out there to work at a resort hotel on the company dime for 5 days.

i am not strictly an IPA guy

You are in the IPA mecca. When I go places, I eat and drink to their strengths.

When I was there last year green flash had limited hours at their tap room, not sure if that's still the case, but be aware.

IMO, the best beer they serve is Pallate Wrecker, which is also one of my favorite new beers I have tried in the last couple years.

Do yourself a favor and rent a car and make a trip to Alpine, the best kept secret in beer. Every hoppy offering of theirs is special, their RIS and brisket are also good.

Also try and get some fresh sculpin on draft while you are in town, should be an easy thing to do.

Next week i will be working at a resort/conference hotel in the Pacific Beach neighborhood of San Diego.

I see that the Green Flash brewery / brew-pub will be within walking distance.

Any locals or other people who have been there have recommendations on food & beverage?

I have seen positive comments about their IPA but i am not strictly an IPA guy - i like a good american amber or porter from time to time.

And there is always the food, of course, and yelp etc don't really seem to say much.

Um... the Green Flash restaurant in PB is NOT the same as the Green Flash Brewery, which is located in Mira Mesa.

The restaurant is right on the boardwalk, walking distance to the Catamaran. It's a nice beachy place, buy nothing special, and most certainly NOT a brewery or brew-pub. I go there regularly, trust me. Check it out for the people watching along the boardwalk, not for the beer.

A short trip up the 5 gets you to Mira Mesa and the real Green Flash Brewery, which is certainly worth a trip.

Have a good time.

Um... the Green Flash restaurant in PB is NOT the same as the Green Flash Brewery, which is located in Mira Mesa.

The restaurant is right on the boardwalk, walking distance to the Catamaran. It's a nice beachy place, buy nothing special, and most certainly NOT a brewery or brew-pub. I go there regularly, trust me. Check it out for the people watching along the boardwalk, not for the beer.

A short trip up the 5 gets you to Mira Mesa and the real Green Flash Brewery, which is certainly worth a trip.

Have a good time.

I was scratching my head the first few posts on this thread. PB + Green Flash did not compute.

If you can get to up to Mira Mesa Blvd, there is a lot between Mira Mesa & Miramar Rd.

As far as PB goes, www.pbalehouse.com is the only one I know of, but I can't say it's good or not. Have not been.

Yeah, I'll be near the location that Google Maps knows only as "The Green Flash" on 701 Thomas Ave.

Still figuring out what I'll be doing next Friday.

PB Alehouse is right there, it is worth getting a sampler. One of the best breweries in the US, to me, is Alpine Beer Co in Alpine (about 45 min east). Totally worth a rental car, the drive, everything.

Also Ballast Point is within 5 miles...and also worth the trip. Look up Home Brew Mart (it is where the 1st brewery is).

Yea, sorry, the Green Flash restaurant is not related to the brewery. What you do want to check out is the Taproom. About a billion beers on tap, and 90% of them are from San Diego. Extra bonus, you can avoid the Bro contingent that makes any other bar in the area a real pain in the ass. The taproom should definitely be walking distance for you. Also, if you like pizza, hit up Woodstock's. Just a few doors down from the Taproom.

Back