Secondary questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speranza

Reaction score
I'm doing the 1-2-3 method everyone seems to like here on my second batch. This will be my first time using a secondary. I do believe it will help this Red Ale out a lot. I got it transfered over just now and took a bath with my carboy. Hehe the wife would kill me if I didn't clean that mess up in the bathtub.

So anyways my Specific Gravity was a still a little bit high by about 0.1 will I expect to see this continue to go down in the secondary? Also the secondary should be pretty well sealed off correct? Lastly, I really don't need to do much to it now for about 2 weeks if I'm satisfied (aside from the SG)?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm off to steal some bottles from work!

Your s.g shouldn't really drop in the secondary tank- as it should be about done fermenting when you transfer it. It might drop a point or two. The secondary fermenter really is NOT that- it's a conditioning/clearing tank. You should be at or very near f.g. when you move it. Now, it just has to sit until you bottle it.

You keep an airlock on it, just like in primary. It will get darker looking because the yeast and other stuff will drop out of it and settle on the bottom. It will look darker in the carboy than you expected! But it will not be that dark in the glass.

Latest posts

Back