Efficiency linked to crush, temps, and water volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

37OliveStBrews

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have been all grain brewing with precrushed grain up until now and have always been very close to the suggested SG. However yesterday I milled my own grain for the first time with a Corona mill. The recipe suggested a SG of 1.065 but I hit 1.050 (water temps and volume were all spot on). My guess is that I need to adjust the crush on my mill. Would you agree this is where my major problem lies? I did find a fair amount of uncrushed grain in my spent grain, so my guess is I need to go finer.
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Yeah, the corona mill is a bit fickle. Some grain goes through completely uncrushed and the some gets pulverized into flour. If you're interested in crushing your own grain, I'd say anything less than a Barley Crusher is probably a waste of time.

I did find a fair amount of uncrushed grain in my spent grain, so my guess is I need to go finer.

If you have uncrushed grain, you absolutely need to crush more.

Yeah, the corona mill is a bit fickle. Some grain goes through completely uncrushed and the some gets pulverized into flour. If you're interested in crushing your own grain, I'd say anything less than a Barley Crusher is probably a waste of time.

Umm....Revvy, price check isle 9 please.

Back