Recipe Change - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aomagman78

Reaction score
So I wanted to make a clone of McMenamin's Terminator stout because I loved it when I was in Portland. However, my wife (and brew partner) doesn't like stouts and we just brewed one recently the recipe is below - what would the flavor be like if I removed the Blackprinz and maybe went a little lighter on the CaramunichIII. I have some Vienne/CaramunichI and CarAroma on hand as well and some additional Centennial hops. Thoughts to fix my problem?

6lbs Liq Pale Malt Extract
1lb Crystal 40L
1lb Black Barley Malt < < Remove??
3/4lb Munich Malt < < Cut back / change for CaraMunichI?
1oz Cascade Hops
1tsp Irish Moss (15min before end of boil) (1tsp)
American Ale Yeast (Nottingham)

Will this end up more like a porter or amber ale? Thanks.

Something like:

6lbs Pale LME
1lb Crystal 40L
4oz Black Barley
4oz Viennea
4oz Caramunich III
1oz Cascade 60min
.25oz Centennial 30min

Nottingham Ale Yeast

Which should give me a Light to Medium brown according to BeerCalculus.

You took out 1 3/4 lbs of grain and only added back in 12 oz. You will have a light low alcohol, low hopped lawnmower beer. It will be beer but it will be lite beer. A far cry from the stout.

I put that into a calculator and came out with an SRM of 19, which was too low for 'brown porter', but a far cry from a lawnmower beer.

I mean, it's got 6lbs of LME in there. But I suppose it could use more "flavoring". If I was going to add another pound of steeped grains, what would you guys suggest?

the black barley makes it a lil odd, but it's basically an american brown ale.

You took out 1 3/4 lbs of grain and only added back in 12 oz. You will have a light low alcohol, low hopped lawnmower beer. It will be beer but it will be lite beer. A far cry from the stout.

none of that makes sense. removing 1 total lb of malt, mostly unfermentable malt at that, will not turn a beer into lawnmower beer.

Back