First Homebrew Beer Tasted!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
I brewed a Kolsch (5) weeks ago......fermented for 3-weeks.....then bottled.

Based on advice from some guys on this forum...I took 1 beer after a week and put it in fridge....today I put another (1) in the fridge, and next week I will do 1 more....so that I will have beers that have carbonated for 1, 2, and 3 weeks.....so I can try a beer that has carb'd for 1, 2, and 3 weeks to see how they compare.

Anyway, I just tried my first beer that had carb'd for a week and then sat in fridge for a week...I didn't expect much, however, to my pleasant surprise I heard a fizz when I popped the lid...poured it in a nice tall pilsner glass....and had to show my wife the bubbles rising to the top.....she looked at me kinda funny and rolled her eyes....LOL......anyway the beer tastes pretty damn good for as young as it is.....so now I cannot wait for it to age some more to try it then.

Also....noobie question.....does any carbonation take place in the bottle once it is cooled in the fridge? i am wondering if the amount of carbonation in this test beer is based on the 1 week at 72F....or the combined 2 weeks....1 week at 72F and the other week at 40 F??

Man you gotta love homefbrewing! :mug:

the yeast will go dormant once they are in the fridge...so you are basing the carb level on the one week at 72F

congrats on your first beer!

Yeah....she just doesn't understand the beauty in it....hahah...I kinda wish I had put more in the fridge....but I shall be patient and let the rest finish out. I am brewing a Summer Ale tommorrow....love the anticipation of brew day!

Thanks for the grats guys!

Also....noobie question.....does any carbonation take place in the bottle once it is cooled in the fridge? i am wondering if the amount of carbonation in this test beer is based on the 1 week at 72F....or the combined 2 weeks....1 week at 72F and the other week at 40 F??

Man you gotta love homefbrewing! :mug:

My understanding is making it cold will stop the yeast from working, whether they would have made more co2 or were going to work on cleaning up some chemicals from any of the fermentations, but any co2 already created will still absorb into the liquid when cold from the air space in the bottle and if there are non-yeast ways for the flavors to age then they probably still will. I bet if two bottles were put into the fridge after 1 week and one was drank when cold the same day versus after a few weeks, they would probably be a little different in carbonation and taste. You might get a bigger hiss from a younger bottle than an older one if it is before it has been absorbed into the beer. I think someone posted a video with carbonation age comparison on here before.

its also going to depend alot on what yeast you used. a kolsch yeast might still work in the cold...not sure though. if i want to test a beer @ 1 week i chill it after a week for 1-2 days. besides it wouldn't last 7 days in the firdge if it was the first of a batch.:) BTW congrats:mug:

Back