Bourbon Barreling!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I cant have spelled that right... hmm, oh well

Many of us are getting whiskey barrels, what is everyone planning to do with them?

does anyone have ideas as to how many batches you can age in them before the flavor is gone? how do you store it between batches?

I was thinking about soaking in water with meta so soak out the flavor so I can age some Flanders Red.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do first. I have time to decide, I missed the first batch.

I'l do one or two clean batches before letting the bugs take over. :D

I recently picked up a 55gallon brandy barrel from Lost abbey that had one batch of beer through it. There was some discussion if there will be any flavor left in the barrel, so I curious what others experiences are with barrels and flavor. As for this barrel, it still has a strong brandy aroma so I think it will still impart some flavor.

I plan on filling it with a Belgian quad with sour cherries, I'll brew two 12.5 gallon batches a month (I have to build a new mash tun to accommodate the 35lb grain bill), doing the primary fermentation in five 6.5 gallon carboys and then transferring to the barrel, and re pitching the yeast into the next 25 gallons, then pitching the cultured dregs of a Cuvee des Tomme bottle into the barrel.

At least thats the plan.

I also plan to do a couple beers that pick up the whiskey flavor, then move onto bugs once the whiskey has been leached out. Can't wait to stick some saisons, flanders red, etc. into a buggy barrel.

From the buy thread, it sounds like the barrels aren't leaving a huge whiskey imprint at this point, but I'm sure it takes time. Sacch also mentioned the higher ABV beer might leach more flavor.

I found this thread on using wood, though a lot has to do with chips and cubes. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/tips-wood-aging-119445/

It sounds like once we get these barrels we should soak them in water for a bit to swell the wood. It sounds like they should also be stored with liquid in them essentially at all times to keep the seal good. Anyone planning on doing any cleaning or sanitizing? If so, how? I'm not sure it's necessary, but wanted to see others' thoughts.

How long do you think the beer needs to stay in the barrel to pick up the bugs? It seems like brett and other things can take 6 months to a year to really sour something. I hope SWMBO will ok two barrels instead of just 1.

Our club is spinning wheels for filling our barrel back up this year. Will probably be doing 2 55 gallons. 1 Buffalo Trace with a Scottish Heavy and the Jack with an RIS.

How long do you think the beer needs to stay in the barrel to pick up the bugs? It seems like brett and other things can take 6 months to a year to really sour something. I hope SWMBO will ok two barrels instead of just 1.

That's a good point. I may need to consider a second barrel.

Who's going to do the full fermentation in the barrel vs. secondary/age only in the barrel?

I'm getting two so I've got to get thinking on what to do. I think a BW for sure in one. Also thought about possibly an IIPA.

Back