2nd Batch wee heavy question on primary fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rutile21

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing my second batch. My first was a wheat beer which came our great. However, I'm concerned about my second batch. I'm brewing a wee heavy and I'm on the tenth day of primary fermentation and it is still bubbling away. the OG was 1.066, I just checked it and it is currently 1.030. When should I rack to the secondary?

As long as it's still bubbling away, leave it be, it's still fermenting and the yeast are happy and healthy. Just curious what kind of yeast are you using and what is the temperature of the room the carboy/bucket is in? A complete recipe post wouldn't hurt either.

I wouldn't be considered though, if it's bubbling, it's fermenting.

Agree with you-dub, it's all about your grain bill, yeast, and fermenting temps. If you're halfway there and it's still working, all is good. .066 is a pretty high OG, I suspect (subject to check) that your fermenting temp is a bit low, which is never bad. Just extends things.

You will need, however, to package up some of the finished product and pass it around to receive a final opinion.

Great job - keep us posted!

Skol!

Lynch’s Kiltlifting Scotch Ale
Malt Extract: Pale 6 lbs.
Munich 3 lbs.
Grain Bill: Roasted Barley 4 oz
Crystal 120 4 oz
Special B 4 oz
Crystal 10 4 oz
Peated malt 1 oz
Hopping Schedule: #1 Northern Brewer (7.4%) 1.2 oz 60 min
#2 Willamette (4.5 %) 0.5 oz 30 min
Starting Gravity: 1.066
Fermentation Temp: 70 degrees F (I have the fermentor in a water bath)
White Labs WLP028 Edinburgh Ale

Back