Tennessee Group Grain Buy Round 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am assuming Dave will add it to the spreadsheet. Who is going to be the brewer who misses out on this buy? This is the last buy until March 2012!

I am still pretty new to all grain brewing but trying to be proactive in this buy. If anyone has any thoughts and/or suggestions to my purchases I am open to more options please chime in. I am looking to Brew about one or two times per month and want to Brew some porter, stout, IPA, ambers???? Thoughts???

Canadian 2 row as a base malt maybe 2 bags. 0.1 of the chocolate malt for the amber if there any of the high love crystal left get 0.1 of that. 0.1 roasted barely maybe some pbw. ;) or rice hulls ;) maybe some of the lower love crystal for the ipa and others. grab that last 0.1 of the c-40 maybe some of the dark munich maybe the honey malt and the wheat and vienna. just thoughts.

Csuho said:
Canadian 2 row as a base malt maybe 2 bags. 0.1 of the chocolate malt for the amber if there any of the high love crystal left get 0.1 of that. 0.1 roasted barely maybe some pbw. ;) or rice hulls ;) maybe some of the lower love crystal for the ipa and others. grab that last 0.1 of the c-40 maybe some of the dark munich maybe the honey malt and the wheat and vienna. just thoughts.

So to summarize, get a little of everything. Lol.
I just added some more stuff. I'm pretty sure I have a little of everything now.HAHA:D

I am still pretty new to all grain brewing but trying to be proactive in this buy. If anyone has any thoughts and/or suggestions to my purchases I am open to more options please chime in. I am looking to Brew about one or two times per month and want to Brew some porter, stout, IPA, ambers???? Thoughts???

Buy lots of 2row you'll use in everything. Then you can pick up the specialty grain from rebel.

Anybody made anything with the Bairds Vienna? I have used the Best and Franco buy not the Bairds.

Kinda New myself,
So I started with some Basic stuff. If you read over the recipes of Edwort or Biermuncher or Jamil Z and look for the styles you like. Also do a quick search on the recipe database, You will get a good idea of what you need for your brews. But these prices cant be beat so hop in.

you guys wanna do 3 pallets or not? i know a guy that would need about 20+ bags. I think he would pick it all up too.

Csuho said:
you guys wanna do 3 pallets or not? i know a guy that would need about 20+ bags. I think he would pick it all up too.

Danm. Is this guy doin 2 barrel batches and sellin it, or just stockin up for the next year or two.

I wouldn't mind doing a 3rd pallet, if we could find a couple of brewers to jump in for another couple of sacks each. If all of our splits were to be finalized we would have too many sacks right now. If everything were to close right now we would be over by 1 or 2 sacks, depending on what NCM says about the amount of sacks that can go onto a pallet that has PBW on it.

Chris,

Would your guy need any specialty grains? Would he finish out any of the current open splits?

I have 1 or 2 guys who say they would like to get in on the buy. Bobby H, non HBT member, hasn't gotten back to me, and a guy named Brett says he might want to get in.

I picked up the splits on the Bairds pale and vienna , and was thinking about picking up maybe the wheat or MO split to get this process expidited . Puts me right at my spending limit. but would rather have a full sack of Bairds pale and a full sack of Best Vienna. Would be glad to move those to the thrid pallet But Again that would leave more splits on paleet 2.

I have a brewer who really wants to get in if we do another pallet. He has asked what the cost of 10 sacks would be. I sent him a catalog and I will let you all know what he is thinking when he responds back. I am all for helping out new AG brewers as well as those veteran brewers who need some malt but don't have another group to get the grain from. More guys in the buy is a good thing, it means we can order more often. Let's see what happens with these 2 potential brewers.

I picked up the splits on the Bairds pale and vienna , and was thinking about picking up maybe the wheat or MO split to get this process expidited . Puts me right at my spending limit. but would rather have a full sack of Bairds pale and a full sack of Best Vienna. Would be glad to move those to the thrid pallet But Again that would leave more splits on paleet 2.

I appreciate your flexibility. If we do a third pallet you are more than welcome to withdraw your .75 Baird's Vienna in favor of a whole sacks. The same goes for the Pale. I probably have some pale at the house I could part with, if need be. I only have like 400lb of grain at my place.

About to jump into all grain. Few questions...where is the pickup happening? I'm in Memphis, always down for a roadtrip.

Also, what are the payment options? Much appreciated

1234 said:
I only have like 400lb of grain at my place.

You might be a homebrew addict if:
You have enough grain to start your own LHBS and your getting MORE.
Oops, wrong thread.

Hey Bobby. Are you sure you want to transport all that, specially if we go to a third pallet? Maybe we can just do it all at your brothers business. Just an idea.

Also, what are the payment options? Much appreciated[/QUOTE]

I too would like pickup/ payment details. Also, I will look at some of the specialty splits tonight. How do you guys store your grain and deal with bugs

Paypal is the preferred method of payment, just make sure you send it as a gift. No fees for me or you as long as you use your bank account. I do have at least brewer who will send a check. Pick-up will be at my house, more than likely, which is in Hendersonville. I may do a brew day on that day as well. Not sure what the brew would be, but it might be a O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate ale clone. I store most of my grains in Homer Buckets, they are airtight so you don't have to worry about bugs.

Hey Bobby. Are you sure you want to transport all that, specially if we go to a third pallet? Maybe we can just do it all at your brothers business. Just an idea.

1 more pallet only means 1 more truck is needed. The problem comes when it takes guys 2 or more weeks to get the grain. I think most everybody plans on being there on the Saturday we to the distribution.

A 3rd pallet has been set up, if needed. The 2nd pallet is now locked. Leave a post if any changes need to be made.

If I can I will finish out the BD-MOPA and Honey Malt bags to make them full bags on pallet #2 if not already spoken for or if there is room.

I have updated pallet #1 and #2 with prices. These are based off of a combination of previous grain buys and calculated totals from the catalog. The actual prices will change, but this gives an idea of the total price. I will also make a sheet with everyone's total due. When you check your amount due, please make sure both your HBT user name and First/Last name are listed.

These are the available splits left on pallet #2:
Honey Malt: 0.55
Lactose: 0.2 (Come on people! Pick up a couple lbs for stouts this winter!) :D
C-80/90: 0.4
Aromatic: 0.2
Chocolate Malt: 0.3
Acid Malt: 0.3
We need to start closing these out.
Edit: Including these open splits, we are now at 40.6 sacks on pallet #2. Depending on how many splits don't close, some of these will have to go on the 3rd pallet.

Back