Utah Legalizes Homebrewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onelegout

Reaction score
March 25, 2009 - Yesterday, Governor Jon M. Huntsman, Jr. of Utah signed into law legislation that makes homebrewing beer legal. The "Exemption for Alcoholic Beverage Manufacturing License" was sponsored by Representative Christine A. Johnson and made Utah the 46th state to legalize homebrewing. The US Government made homebrewing legal on a federal level in 1978. Since then all but four states; Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Oklahoma have made homebrewing legal.

Read more here: homebrew Diary
I did use the search function and it only came up with stuff from 2008, if this has already been discussed please could a mod delete this!
Thanks,

Henry.

The beauracracy involved in trying to tax homebrew would far outrun any revinue they gained...

Yeah, it was in the other Utah considering legalizing thread, but that's cool to repost :)

Now if anyone knows when the law goes into effect...is it July 1? May 12? July 5? Talk about a buzzkill brewing on your front porch and being arrested after the gov signed the bill.

Just tell em you were making a hop tea and you prefer to get your sugars from grains because they are healthyer for you weakening body than cane sugar. Then destroy all your yeast before they come back :p.

Just tell em you were making a hop tea and you prefer to get your sugars from grains because they are healthyer for you weakening body than cane sugar. Then destroy all your yeast before they come back :p.

The #1 thing that I think would get me hauled away would be the wort chiller. It doesn't matter whay I say it is, they're just going to figure it's part of a meth lab or something.

I don't know whether to congratulate Utah homebrewers or not. Isn't it more fun if it's illegal???? ;) Just askin, since it's legal here. :)

My home state of WV finally raised the ABV for beer sales to 12% (even though a limit itself is ridiculous). Nice to see that some of the "rural" states are catching up with the times :).

Ok, so this has been confusing the hell out of me. I've read that apparently it is illegal to homebrew in KY, however, we have homebrew supply stores, homebrew clubs, and a homebrew competition in the Kentucky State Fair.. Secondly, in 1978 congress passed a bill making it legal to homebrew, but apparently states can make their own law regarding homebrew. Now, isn't Federal Law above State law? Isn't this kind of like the legality of marijuana in the states, but kind of reversed. It's medically legal by California State Law, correct? But the Feds can come in and do whatever they want, arrest people, close down shops, etc. So would the bill in 1978 overturn state law in homebrewing? I'm so confused...

Excellent! There have been threads about the bill: it's out of committee, it passed the House, etc.

But, now it's real.

Back