brewing literature? any good stuff to get and read?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobthebiker

Reaction score
since I want to learn as much as I can before I attempt to brew anything, I would like some recommendations on good literature relating to brewing. particularly stuff aimed at new brewers.

What books are recommended to help me learn?

since I want to learn as much as I can before I attempt to brew anything, I would like some recommendations on good literature relating to brewing. particularly stuff aimed at new brewers.

What books are recommended to help me learn?

John Palmer's book is free online...

How to Brew - By John Palmer

ANd Papa Charlies book...the bible of himebrewing

51KFMQB4WFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And pretty much every thread on here...

Revvy's suggestions are perhaps the best to get started.

Once you read those many times (I still refer to them every now and then) if you are wanting for more...

Designing great beers by Ray Daniels is a great start into advanced brewing and recipe formulation in particular.

Extreme Brewing by Randy Mosher is very enlightening and entertaining as well. It also has some beginner type chapters so might be alright as a starter that will last you into further adventures.

I'd say you can find much more information here at HBT. I have the Joy and a few other texts, and although they're great (especially for tackling more advanced topics like water treatment) some of the basic info they provide is dated, and/or designed around the person who wants drinkable beer ASAP.

I appreciate the literature suggested. I certainly concur with you guys that this place is a massive wealth of information and knowledgeable people in the craft who can help, I just like to be able to read it step by step, rather than have to search/post a thread for all of my questions and be really annoying.

I'm reading John Palmers How to Brew book right now, and its exactly the kind of information I was looking to find, simple, to the point and with illustrations.

I thank you folks once again.

Extreme Brewing by Randy Mosher is very enlightening and entertaining as well.
absolutely! but the title is radical brewing.

it's not at all a step by step guide but i found it really inspiring when i first started out, and it's got a ton of great recipies.

john palmer will steer you well for basic technuques, i'd focus on good sanitation and good temperature control and you should make good beer. then as you get your process down you'll start to make great beer.

John Palmer's How To Brew is the best beginning book in my opinion. I read the classic Papazian text followed by Palmer's before I attempted my first beer.

pascolibraries.org says it has the Papazian book as well as Dave Miller's good homebrewing guide.

I also like How to Brew and recommend buying the current version. Designing Great Beers is essential is you want to create or modify recipes. Brewing Classic Styles is the best "cookbook" IMO and if you have any sort of technical background (I have a math degree but no chemistry/biology/physics beyond High School or first year college) I found Principles of Brewing Science by George Fix to be very informative.

Back