frame complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathan

Reaction score
1208081309a.jpg

1208081309.jpg

Yesterday I got all the tools I needed together and in the freezing cold I finished welding the pot supports in the metal portion of my new single tier (taken months so far, bit by bit).

After these photos I finished most of the wooden base, which adds about 17 inches of height. I chose a wooden base so I could easily alter the height if I change pots without needing to chase down friends with welders to borrow again, as that has delayed me quite a bit.

I should have the structure done in a week, then on to some detailing and plumbing the gas and then I can give it a test drive by January.

Now that I live alone without many distractions, it's easier to get some work done out in the garage. After shaping metal, then welding and doing carpentry all day, I felt like a manly man! (my gallery has some early pics)

Yes, that is a blichmann 20g, fully loaded (haven't set it up yet, but will when stand is ready). I have a converted keg HLT (eventually electric with electronic temp control), a converted keg boil kettle, and the blichmann for the mash. :tank:

Looks pretty sweet bro, I'm still scrapping together all the steel for my stand bit by bit. Post some results with the use of that blichmann. I'm curious to see if their worth all that $

I spaced and didn't take a shot with the pots in place, but this is really close to done.

the top is aluminum and bolts to the stand. The heat shields are just strips of 22gauge sheet steel, I roll them up a bit, then put them through the top hole, and they spread out and stay in place under the angle iron and on top of the small steel brackets I welded in for the burners to mount to. This way if they end up destroyed by the heat, I can just toss them. I may just use some cheap aluminum flashing next time, though.

I test fired one burner under a keggle, and you could barely tell there was a fire beneath it if you were moving your hands around in the air above. Of course, you'd burn the crap out of yourself if you touched the metal top or keggle, but I'm mentioning this because it should keep the efficiency high. I used to wrap my turkey fryer with foil, and then the pot with a layer that overlapped the fryer base to keep all the heat. This should work similarly.

My brother is coming down tonight and tomorrow we'll try and get the gas plumbed. I also need to order pumps and tubing and whatnot... build the herms coil, a sparge setup...

I have seen where somebody made a tabletop out of stainless and used a flapper disc on an angle grinder to put a design on the surface. The guy just sanded the whole top with a 12-14" random circular motion. Looked awesome and you really can't screw it up.

Mine's aluminum (got the sheet for free), so I could screw it up with just about anything. Aluminum is SOFT! on the bright side, it cuts with a jigsaw and sands smooth in a jiffy.

ordered my pumps, tubing, QDs, thermometers...

will go get parts to do a sparge and herms coil...

Ed, since I have made two batches of your apfelwein, we'll call it even.

oh, and my first mod will probably be square-tube legs instead of the wooden base once I decide exactly how high I want it.

oh, and my first mod will probably be square-tube legs instead of the wooden base once I decide exactly how high I want it.

Don't forget, once you decide on a height, deduct a few inches for wheels.
I got some nice rubber wheels at Lowe's with a 3/8" threaded stud, about 4" diameter rated at 150lbs (I think) for around $5 each.

There's also a four pack of studded wheels over by the garage shelving parts. They're made for those wire shelf units and have grey locking wheels. Only $15.

Looking great Nathan.

you can't see it in the pics, but there are six casters under the wood. They are the 3" variety, and the two front corners are locking types.

I put them under just enough so you couldn't kick or trip on them accidentally, but I think they are a pain in the ass now, since my boot won't fit to hit the lock. I would probably upgraded to the rubber wheels when I put on legs. I also think I could get by with four legs and four wheels. I can just weld a plate on the bottom of the tube steel and drill bolt holes to match the wheel mounting plate holes.

At first when I started this summer, I did everything in ways to decrease metal cutting and welding, but at this point I enjoy it so I will just do what seems sturdiest. Learning to weld was cool (picks in my gallery).

lots more progress...
I used CSST (wardflex) to run from a straight blackpipe propane supply line along the bottom up to each burner.

My gallery has pics.

Looks great- D@mn that's a shiny keggle! Did you do that yourself or ???

'As you can see I am not easily distracted... Ohh look a blue car!'

yup, I used the angle grinder and gator grit polishing pads on the yellow rubber backing disc and shined em up. It took me at least two "fine" blue pads for each keg, and a ton of effort. I ended up with one knee on the ground, the keg on it's side on a mat, and one leg tossed over it.

If I could find a finer pad, I might consider going back over them to shine further, this summer when I have to tear this all apart and sand and paint. Might as well get in a little extra torture, right!

Back