How to lower FG...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright - plugging in that basic info into Beersmith, you should have come in with an OG around 1.043 (so your measured OG was pretty darned close), and assuming you used the default yeast for the kit - the dry US05 strain - it should ferment out to 1.010.

Now, this is important, and bears repeating as a few folks have pointed it out so far, but how exactly are you measuring FG? As in, what tool are you using? You mentioned using a refractometer to measure your OG - but those are very innacurate as soon as you try to measure an alcohol solution. There are calculators out there that will help you try to estimate the corrected value, but if you're measuring 1.020 with a refractometer, then 1.020 is not your actual gravity value.

How am I giving out horrible advice? I didn't give any advice to begin with. I merely stated that a higher OG will lead to a higher ABV. That is indeed a fact as you yourself stated.

The belgian strong has an OG of 1.081and it is therefore recommended to pitch two vials or at the very least, make a starter. How to Brew says as much as does anyone else who has brewed a strong beer. Never did I suggest that he pitch two vials into a 1.040 beer.

Obviously, the exact ABV will be determined by the attenuation achieved. Romeo is disappointed by the low ABV and I'm guessing he would still be disappointed by a sub 4% beer even if he did get to the typical 1.010-1.012 that I regularly achieve. Hence, why I MENTIONED the fact that a higher OG will lead to a stronger beer. If my belgian has a horrendous FG of 1.030, it will still have an ABV of over 6%. That's more than any beer with an OG of 1.040 will give you.

In short, I didn't give any advice. Do me a favor and keep the condescending tone to yourself.

metanoia said:
Please stop right now, you're giving out horrible advice.

First of all, a higher OG doesn't mean more alcohol. Yes, a higher OG provides a chance for a higher ABV since there usually are more fermentables for the yeast to eat, but if the FG doesn't get low enough, then there might be less alcohol than you'd assume. It all depends on the yeast strain, health, amount pitched, fermentation temperature, and a lot of other factors.

Second, he shouldn't automatically need more yeast. A wheat beer starting at 1.040 doesn't need that much yeast, especially not when compared to a Belgian strong ale! I don't believe that OP posted how much of a starter he made, or how long it was made/fed in advance, but a typical starter for smaller beer like a wheat should be fine even if he pitched right out of the yeast vial. As others have suggested, gently rousing the yeast may be all he needs to get fermentation finished. Or, you know, just being patient and waiting more than 10 days. :)

I see now where my comment could have been misinterpreted. Apologies

No, I apologize if my comments came across as condescending; I could see how that's the case. I think I'm just protective when fresh young brewers are given information that's beyond what they need at the moment; I think that we all can agree that the OP just needs to wait it out another week or two and invest $10-15 in a hydrometer and test jar.

metanoia said:
No, I apologize if my comments came across as condescending; I could see how that's the case. I think I'm just protective when fresh young brewers are given information that's beyond what they need at the moment; I think that we all can agree that the OP just needs to wait it out another week or two and invest $10-15 in a hydrometer and test jar.

Thank you all I really appreciate it.

501irishred said:
{Edit} ......

Is that possible from my phone? I don't see the feature although I wish I had.

Apologies again, I feel silly. And yes, I agree with that assessment. :)

Back