Too Much Foam on Nitro Tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
I have had a nitro set up for some time, I like a nitro beer on occasion but it certainly is not an everyday thing for me therefore I had an irish stout on my nitro tap for a long time. I won't admit to how long but it poured and tasted great from the time I tapped until I poured. I recently brewed a vanilla porter for the nitro tap, it was brewed at the same time I made an IPA, my normal procedure is to force carb outside the kegerator. I wasn't thinking and set them both to carb to about 2.4 volumes so I am fairly certain I over carbonated the nitro beer. I think a stout is supposed to be closer to 1.4 volumes. Would this be the reason that I am getting far too much foam out of my nitro tap? I know nitro taps foam and then surge leaving a nice creamy head but I am getting half of glass of head and half a glass of beer.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the reason, especially since your stout was pouring fine. You'll have to vent the keg over a couple days then try again.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the reason, especially since your stout was pouring fine. You'll have to vent the keg over a couple days then try again.

Is there a way to know when I get closer to 1.4 or will I just have to see how it pours?

I bet if you let the keg come to room temperature, then vent all pressure, it will be pretty close. If it still foams, leave it at room temp for another day and vent again. At this point, it's a trial and error game.

In my experience, overcarbonation is fixable, but it's never fun.

Back