Question on priming sugar vs. beer volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rd4

Reaction score
In Palmer's How To Brew, there are various calculations and nomographs to determine the amount of priming sugar that should be used for a 5 gallon batch. Is that 5 gallon volume referring to the original volume or final volume of beer available for bottling?

I found that after fermenting, transferring to secondary, etc. I was a little over 4 gallons on my first brew due to sampling, sediment, and so on... so I scaled back my priming sugar for bottling to 4 gallons rather than 5 and I found that after two weeks the beer is still pretty weakly carbed. Was I supposed to base my priming sugar off of 5 gallons even though I had only 4? I believe I used around 2.8 oz of corn sugar to hit 2.5 CO2 volumes and scaled that back 4/5th's.

The brew was an American Pale Ale from Brewer's Best.
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.012 (stable over two weeks)

Just caught that you reduced the 2.8 ozs by 20%, so you only use ~2.25 ozs. You're not going to hit 2.5 volumes, more like 1.75 volumes.

Back