plastic flavor in wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musky412

Reaction score
I am fairly new to wine making and recently bottle a batch of pear wine. The fermentation process went as smooth as any batch I made, starting sg was 1.094 and the percent of acid was right where it should have been. I taste tested it four days before bottling and it was the best batch I made but when I bottled it had a plastic flavor to it. Any ideas what went wrong?
I use a glass secondary so it wasn't from the fermenter.

Thanks for the help!

I am fairly new to wine making and recently bottle a batch of pear wine. The fermentation process went as smooth as any batch I made, starting sg was 1.094 and the percent of acid was right where it should have been. I taste tested it four days before bottling and it was the best batch I made but when I bottled it had a plastic flavor to it. Any ideas what went wrong?
I use a glass secondary so it wasn't from the fermenter.

Thanks for the help!

"Plastic" flavor usually comes from one of three sources: chlorine in the water; contamination/infection/ or stressed yeast. The weird thing is if it wasn't present until bottling, and just occurred prior to that, it makes me consider contamination as the culprit.

I'd guess the only thing to do now is age it a bit and see what happens. If it gets worse, it was contamination. If it gets better, it was stressed yeast. If it stays the same, probably chlorine in a sanitizer or the water used for making the wine. But I"m only guessing, of course.

I have actually decided to change from tap water to spring hoping to improve the quality of my wine, of that was after the pear wine. How long do you think it would need to age before a change could be noticed?

Back