Bottling my Cider. Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
Hi, I made a 2 gallon batch of cider in September that I am ready to bottle. I need some help figuring out how much to backsweeten/add for carbonation.

This cider was made with 2 gallons of fresh apple cider, 2 pounds of honey, and Nottingham ale yeast. It fermented to about 9.3% ABV and the FG is around 1.003.

I would like to sweeten the cider since it's quite dry, carbonate it in bottle, and then stovetop pasteurize when it reaches proper carbonation levels before they all explode.

Should I use corn sugar or honey? How much do I add to properly carb and leave residual sweetness? HELP!

Thanks.

the amount needed to carb is pretty small relative to the amount you would probably use to back sweeten, so i would suggest sweetening it by taste and bottling at that gravity. it will drop a couple points in the bottle. as a starting point you could push it up to 1.010, and see if you like it. perception of sweetness depends on many factors such as how acidic it is, so you need to taste each batch as you go. if you want it exactly at that sweetness you can then further add a normal amount of priming sugar from an online calculator such as on tastybrew.com. any fermentable sugar will do it; corn, beet, bee, etc.
at high alcohol it may take a while to carb.

Back