Go stainless or go home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, for 3/4 OD it would probably be McMaster #9579K71. Depending on your fittings though, it could even use one more step up if the fitting causes the silicone to strech out.

I order stuff for work from McMaster periodically, so I'll probably order a bag of these to try out.

I bought a single piece of straight 1/2" OD tubing off ebay and just used a tubing cutter to cut to the length I needed. Those are Swagelok compression fittings connecting them.

I should have better pictures of the finished (powder coated) stand up by this weekend in a separate build thread.

I'm really surprised no one mentioned that there are two types of brass, the lighter and darker versions. The darker version contains no lead, and they are cast. Thus, no lead, no pickling. The other type is a lighter gold version and they do need to be pickled but only if it makes you feel better. There was a brewstrong show where John Palmer discussed the merits of the various fittings and the conclusion was "pickle it if if makes you feel better but brass is perfectly fine."

I have 2 brass ball valves and tubing in both of my mash coolers and have been using them for over 5 years with no negative effects. Much cheaper than stainless and just as effective.

I bought a single piece of straight 1/2" OD tubing off ebay and just used a tubing cutter to cut to the length I needed. Those are Swagelok compression fittings connecting them.

I should have better pictures of the finished (powder coated) stand up by this weekend in a separate build thread.

That would be very helpful. I would like to see some pictures of your swagelok compression fittings and setup.

Back