Using a corny to make a wet bar...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boneshb

Reaction score
Just wondering if an idea like this would work? Or, would it just carbonate the water? I would like to set up a 'wet bar' but don't have the roughing for actually running the water. Also, I would use a 5 gallon deep rock type bottle to catch the drain water.

I considered that, but I would then have to turn the pump on/off to use the sink, I was hoping a corny w/ some pressure would allow me to just open the faucet to get water and it should maintain its serving pressure

I considered that, but I would then have to turn the pump on/off to use the sink, I was hoping a corny w/ some pressure would allow me to just open the faucet to get water and it should maintain its serving pressure

Why not just put a on/off switch for the pump on the wall kinda like you would with a garbage disposal. It would save you from buying CO2 and you water would not be carbonated.

It won't carb the water much if it's at room temp with say 3 PSI. You could also push the water with filtered compressed air, or an inert gas like nitrogen or argon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nitrogen or Argon won't readily mix with the water so It could be used at higher pressure.
3 psi is enough to feed a picnic faucet, with say 5/16 or larger short line to the faucet, 3-5 psi would be enough to rinse stuff, I don't know how much pressure boneshb is looking for. Or using filtered air from a compressor filled portable air tank (or second corny) with a secondary regulator would work, negating the cost of a high pressure tank and fills.

I think that the water would take forever to move, though.
Not if you kept the hose really short, and weren't pushing up too much elevation. Also, use a larger hose than 3/16. In short, keep your head loss low.

I think it's an awesome idea.

5 or 10 gallon bucket with an RV water pump. The pump shuts off when it hits around 10 psi so no switches involved. Also how are you handling the gray water . You would just need a 12v power source shurflo pump

I just finished plumping in a Laundry sink next to my brew setup. Since I'm renting I can't run water lines or anything so I've adapted the drain to a 25ft garden hose, put a 30g tub under the sink, and I run a submersible 12v bilge pump with an on/off switch.

I'm using a 1" Vinyl Hose off the pump to CPVC plumbed in on the sink. I don't use any sort of faucet since I turn the flow on and off with the pump switch. The only thing remaining is that I'm going to plumb in a T for my Wort Chiller line so I can divert the slow to my immersion chiller.

The wiring is simple, you can use it anywhere, and the pressure is surprisingly good. I'd highly recommend it.

Total Cost is less than $100
$5 for the tub
$30 for the sink
$20 for the pump
$15 for the drain hose
$5 for adapters drain to hose
$10 Vinyl Tube and CPVC fittings

I like the idea using the RV pump. It would be easier than using a corny but may be kind of frustrating to have to pump it all the time. I only plan on using the sink for rinsing and to have drinking water in the bar area, not really for anything else (no high pressure needed). As far as gray water I am going to have the drain connect to a 5 gallon deep rock container. Also, does anyone think that I could modify a water cooler to hook up to something like I suggested? I guess I will have to look at one up close I suppose. Also, I could possibly make it gravity fed.

Maybe you're making the solution more difficult than the problem. Perhaps the bucket of water could go ABOVE the faucet. Then it would simply be gravity powered.

That is what I was thinking, putting it above the faucet to make it gravity fed, I guess I'll just have to experiment before I mount anything.

Isn't that how toilets used to be installed?
I think the above the sink solution (while not as hidden) might be the easiest.

I'm running branches off my washing machine out to the outside using garden hose and some rigged copper. Gives me hot and cold and only had to drill two holes in the wall too (very small ones as well)
Plus I can turn off the water in the laundry and empty the pipes so I don't have to worry about freezing.

Not if you kept the hose really short, and weren't pushing up too much elevation. Also, use a larger hose than 3/16. In short, keep your head loss low.

I think it's an awesome idea.

isn't mains pressure 6 bar or about 87 PSI? Big difference between 87 and 3!

Latest posts

Back