Hop Residue Invasion.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homeslice

Reaction score
So I mistakingly added all my hops to the 60 min. boil and got this thick hop residue on the bottom of the primary. After pitching it to the secondary @ 1.040 Gravity I left a lot of gunk but still have about an 1/8 covering the bottom of my sample glass. Will I get rid of most of it during @ bottle transfer? If not, any suggestions?

P.S. for a 60 all hops boil it ain't damn bad right now. I hope I won't lose too much flavor over the next few weeks in the secondary.

Oh my god, stop the presses, dump the beer, sell the house!

Just kidding. You should be fine. Yes, when you bottle, be careful to rack the beer off of the hop residue. I don't know what you use for a secondary, but if you siphon, just be sure to keep the end of your siphon tube above the residue and settled yeast.

Frankly, I would have left it in the primary until fermentation was complete, or nearly so, then rack to a secondary, but that's just me.

Leave the beer in the secondary until it is clear. Sounds like it will take 2-3 weeks, but you'll minimize bottle residue that way.

Back