Metallic taste??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No aluminium, no molasses, had some cocoa baking powder at flame out, and 2 vanilla beans.

You may not realize it, but as good as we are, we're not brewing psychics...we kinda need more info...like the recipe, whether it was an extract kit...How long you fermented it, what temp you fermented it, how long it's been in the bottle.....whether the extract came in a can, if you used extract..

you know, Details. :D

I've had what I would describe as a metallic taste twice.
Once (actually a few times), when using Wyeast 1028, I got a sharp metallic taste when the beer was still green, but it completely disappeared when it had matured a bit.
The other time was when I used an enameled steel pot as a kettle, and it got damaged, exposing the wort to rusty steel.

-a.

Once (actually a few times), when using Wyeast 1028, I got a sharp metallic taste when the beer was still green, but it completely disappeared when it had matured a bit.
The other time was when I used an enameled steel pot as a kettle, and it got damaged, exposing the wort to rusty steel.

-a.

You're awesome! Sorry I didn't get around to posting the recipe but I've been pretty busy. I did use 1028 for my fermentation! Hopefully it will disappear but it's been in bottles for about 5weeks. So not sure.

-a.

You're awesome! Sorry I didn't get around to posting the recipe but I've been pretty busy. I did use 1028 for my fermentation! Hopefully it will disappear but it's been in bottles for about 5weeks. So not sure.

I've had a slight metallic taste when I've used certain dark grains before. I'm thinking it was the combination of my water and those grains.

It was very slight, but definitely present. It did not improve, but it didn't ruin the beer either.

I haven't personally experienced this, but I hear that too much Irish Moss can also impart a metallic taste. Might something else to look at.

I have no idea why the 1028 acted the way it did. I used to use it a lot, and only a few brews came out this way. I have never had the problem with any other yeast. In each case it was a very sharp taste, and had completely disappeared after aging for another 3 - 4 weeks.
I checked my notes, and found the first instance when it occurred. It was in the primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 3, and kegged for 4 when I first tried it. After another 3 weeks aging, it tasted perfectly normal. I harvested the yeast, and the subsequent brews made with the yeasts children were fine.

-a.

I had a metallic taste when I used molasses and Lyles Black Treacle (Treacle was for priming). It seems to be fading (~2 month mark?).

I had metallic flavors in every beer I did with canned LME (4 beers). I have not had metallic flavors in any beer I did with DME or bulk LME. I can't say for certain that canned LME was the cause, but I'll never use it again.

Back