Football Championship Brew Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsGuy

Reaction score
Hey all,

As graduate students at the University of Alabama, my roommates and I are very excited about our boys going to Pasadena to play in the BCS Championship game.

Unfortunately, we can not make it to California, but we'd like to brew a special batch to celebrate the day of the game (classes are excused). Does anyone have any special brew that's their go to for events of this magnitude? I need to get started on this quickly since I have only about 4 weeks. Any and all suggestions/discussions will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Andrew

That depends, what are your chances of winning?

You've got 4 weeks, so I would suggest an ESB -- something stronger than a pale ale, but not quite as strong as an IPA, because you want to watch the whole game. Here's a real good version that I did recently. Think a somewhat less intense Arrogant Bastard. If you want it to be a bit more red (for the Crimson Tide), cut down on or even eliminate the chocolate malt.

10 lbs Maris Otter
1.25 lbs Crystal 60
1.0 lbs Munich
0.25 lbs Chocolate

1.25 oz Cascade (7.2% AA) 75 minutes in boil
0.75 oz Cascade (7.2% AA) 45 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade (7.2% AA) 15 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade (7.2% AA) 0 minutes
0.75 oz Cascade (7.2% AA) dry hop

WLP 005 (British Ale)

Well, I would do a red (Crimson) beer. I did a beer I called Tailgate Red for this year (UGA fan, had a lot to drink about).

hercher -
We like to think we have a real good chance of winning. Thanks for the recipe.

halldawg -
At least you had the GT win for consolation...Any chance you can share your Tailgate Red recipe?

I also forgot to mention (not sure if it goes without saying) that I have a kegerator, so I don't have to worry about the bottle conditioning period.

First of all let me say ROLL TIDE

Second of all, let me ask you a question -- Do you have the equipment to keg a beer ? If not. forget about making a beer before the game, you don't have enough time anymore. Should have planned ahead and brewed it back at the start of the season.

oh good you have a kegerator - should have read more - lol

how about a nice wit ?

4 # Pils, 3 # white wheat, 2 # flaked wheat and a half oz. of Perle at 60min ? Toss in some coriander and orange peel at flameout if you want

makes a really great beer and I promise you everyone will like it

Hey SudsGuy!

I'm here in T-town, too. I've got ingredients to make a West Coast Red Ale -- close enough to crimson with that west coast (re: California) twist. If you want to make 2 recipes, make a "crimson" ale and a witbier -- that way you've got Crimson & White. Both are quick fermenting & should be easy to have done in time.

btw, I've been thinking of starting a Tuscaloosa homebrew club. I know half a dozen brewers in town. Would you be interested?

I don't mind posting the Tailgate Red at all, was one of my first recipes. It is a PM, but I am sure you can convert it.
Tailgate Red
Irish Red Ale

Type: Partial Mash
Date: 8/8/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 51.61 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.81 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.45 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.23 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.8 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.14 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.69 %
Bitterness: 16.8 IBU Calories: 223 cal/pint
Est Color: 13.7 SRM Color: Color

mkling-
It would be nice to get a group together, I know a couple guys in town who are also brewers. Time would be the biggest obstacle. It's hard enough to fit brewing into my schedule...but time can always be found for the necessities.

HallDawg-
Thanks for the recipe.

Best of luck on getting a beer ready in time and in the game.

As another UGA fan, I was happy with the outcome Bama had against UF. (I mean the whole Tebow crying part)

Just moved to Tuscaloosa from Denver. I have brewed a couple since moving to T'town. I currently am fermenting ....

Black Tide Ale ( clone of Odelle's 1554)
Yellowhammer Wheat (clone of Odelle's Easy St Wheat)
Gray Lady Pale Ale (Extra Pale Ale...6.3% with 40 IBU) has been in the keg for 4 days.

Was looking to make a SMaSH beer with Maris Otter and Cascade next week.

i found this recipe by brewsmith and thought it would be perfect for u!!!!
hook em!!!!!:mug:

AG - Old Eleven Old Ale
The color is a nice deep burnt orange amber color.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs 002
Yeast Starter: Big Starter!
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.065
Final Gravity: 1.014
IBU: 47
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 15 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 Week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 Weeks

This recipe started out as an Amber Ale that went heywire. I went to the LHBS and asked for the following ingredients, 9 lbs. 2-Row, 1 lb. Munich, 0.5 lb. Crystal 75, 0.5 lb. Crystal 120. Instead of the 11 lbs. of grain that I asked for, I received them all in kilograms! That's 24.2 lbs. of grain! And way more than I can mash at one time. I decided to mix the grain up (it ended up in 2 bags) and weighed out 11 lbs. of grain to make my Amber and had 13.2 lbs. leftover. I decided to just find a style that fit the gravity and color that I had already and go with it. Old Ale seemed to fit nicely. If you don't want to duplicate the malt exactly that way you can instead use the following:

For 5.5 Gallons
Based on 75% Efficiency

10.8 lbs. American 2-Row
1.2 lbs. Munich Malt
0.6 lbs. Crystal 75
0.6 lbs. Crystal 120

0.75 oz. Target Pellets 11.5% 75 min
0.5 oz. Willemette Pellets 4.6% 15 min
0.5 oz. East Kent Goldings Pellets 6.0% 15 min
0.5 oz. Willemette Pellets 4.6% 5 min
0.25 oz. East Kent Goldings 4.6% 5 min

White Labs English Ale Yeast WLP-002

OG: 1.065
SRM: 15
IBU: 47

I mashed stiff at 1 qt. per pound for one hour at about 154 degrees F. I added boiling water at mashout to bring the temp up and sparged at 170 degrees F to collect a total of about 9 gallons. I boiled it down about an hour before beginning the 75 minute hop schedule.

These were the numbers I was shooting for. What I actually got was a little different. I had great efficiency, so my OG ended up at 1.069. Also, the yeast I used usually has lower attenuation. White Labs says between 63 and 70 percent. I must have done something right with the starter and airation because I ended up with about 78% apparent attenuation. To duplicate this you might want to go with White Labs 007 Dry English Ale instead.

On tasting, the beer is firmly bitter, but still nicely balanced. There is a little sweetness from the dark crystal grains and has a nice malt flavor, partially from the Munich malt. If you use the 002 yeast and get 70% attenuation or less, there will be a little more body and residual sweetness. The color is a nice deep burnt orange amber color.

Also, because this batch was mostly free, my original intention was to do a little experimentation, which I chose to not do this time. If you want to try a very authentic Old Ale, try adding some Brettanomyces to the beer in the secondary to give it that "aged in a wooden barrel for a year" flavor. I think I will try this with another brew of this recipe.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/musicsmith/Recipes/#27_Old_Ale.html
Primary: #97 Classic American Pilsner
Kegged: #85 29 And Counting..., #92 Irish Red, #93 100/- Heavy Bagpipes, #94 Wagner Weizen, #95 Dunkelweizen, #96 Schwarzweizen
Up Next: Vienna Lager, Bock, Belgian with Brett, Pale Ale, Barleywine
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Brewsmith : 05-07-2008 at 06:13 PM.

Roll Tide!!!

Here's a link to the 'Crimson' ale I brewed for the 2008 season, sadly I didn't have time this year to brew a batch up. Anyway it's a good easy drinker, very similar to Smithwicks.

Clickey - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/crimson-ale-smithwicksish-78342/

Also here's a link to the shweeettt label I made for it.
Clickey - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/crimson-ale-72714/

As for the brew the only option at this point is a wheat bier. Ferment for 5-10 days or so, and keg thereafter. Perhaps put 6 oz of Crystal 120 & 1-4 oz. roasted barley/chocolate for color.

My suggestion though would be to brew a commerative bier after Bama beats the Horns. Perhaps an imperial Red Ale that all us Bama Fan Brewers could brew. Maybe even swap, etc.

Schlante & Roll Tide,
Phillip

Ps as for the game, it'll be a tough one. I truly believe the old coaching axiom, 'you're never as good as your best game nor as bad as your worst'. Bama had been pointing toward UF for 365 days, so much so that they were looking past an arch rivals, something I've never before witnessed in the IB. That effort Bama put up against UF will be hard to duplicate. I give UT the mental edge of being hungry considering the hypeman trophy snub of McCoy and motivation to stop Ingram. It should also be noted this Bama teams is still hungry and I suspect the Sugar Bowl performance/loss lingers and resonates in much the same way as the UF/SECCG loss did, so they'll be ready! I give Bama a slight edge along both lines of scrimmage, especially the Bama DL vs UT OL. If UT can't find a way to manufacture 100-125 rushing yards they'll be too one dimensional on O and Bama will Tee-off on them. Teams simply can't be one dimensional against this Bama D and expect to win. That's what killed UF, and UT has had similar struggles finding an effective running game for most of the season. It should be duly noted Bama's improved defensive performance against spread teams this year vs. last. I think UT manages some points, & so does Bama. The difference will be an ineffective running game costing Texas at crucial points in the game. Of course special teams and turnovers could change the outcome for both teams. Should be a good un.

Bama 31 - UT 23.
Message me if any UT fans care to 'put a few biers on it'!

especially the Bama DL vs UT OL. If UT can't find a way to manufacture 100-125 rushing yards they'll be too one dimensional on O and Bama will Tee-off on them.
Bama 31 - UT 23.
Message me if any UT fans care to 'put a few biers on it'!

i agree with the edge to bama dl vs ut ol but i dont think texas needs 100yds rushing to win.

defensive struggle will muschamp brings a prepared ut defense ut puts a touch on the board on defense or special teams ut-17 bama-10

i got a 6er on it but if we lose im sending you a 6er of my recent diacetyl infected POS ;) :mug:

Back