BBC Story on Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The British do have a fondness of undercarbonated room temperature beer. To be honest, for certain styles it's actually pretty good.

The British do have a fondness of undercarbonated room temperature beer. To be honest, for certain styles it's actually pretty good.

"It may taste like a warm cup of tobacco chewers' spit but it's still beer, damn it." - Peter Griffin

:drunk:

i shall be watching this tonight :D

and lol... i often drink my beer hardly carb'd. im very impatient lol

Ha! Those cheeky Brits are stealing our youtube pioneered technique - adding unboiled, unfiltered tap water directly to the LME and away she goes...

Cellar temperature does not equal room temperature, sir. ;)

I love English cask ales myself, and a gently carbonated hand-pulled pint is heaven.

It looked like one guy was drinking right off of his kitchen counter. That would be room temp as far as I am concerned. I guess I am too "American". I'll certainly try a real ale if a bar has one on tap, but I like my beers around 40-45 and nicely carbed.

If you look, those plastic containers that look like fermenters (at least some I noticed) are actually serving vessels and they have a nipple/fitting on top allowing these to be carbonated. I have seen one or two mentions of them with pictures on this site over the last year or so.

Orfy drinks his at room temp, but it was rainy and cool when I was there. ;)

Drinking your beer at room temp can be a real eye opener when it comes to beer flavor. There is nowhere for any off flavors or aromas to hide. I recommend everyone try it.

I love my Bavarian Wheat when it's cold, but I can't stand my own Irish Stout when it's right out of the fridge. I let it come to room temp then I open it.

Ha! Those cheeky Brits are stealing our youtube pioneered technique - adding unboiled, unfiltered tap water directly to the LME and away she goes...

I think it's Coopers way of "brewing". You add some boiling water to the LME, top it off with cold water, add some sugar, sprinkle dry yeast and you done. That's what they call a "kit" in Europe: a can of LME plus a pocket of dry yeast. No speciality grains, no nothing.
I tried it once and it was TRULLY disgusting.

12-13°C is perfect for real ale anything lower than 10°C kills the taste and yes no artificial carbonation adds to it. I can take it up to around 18°C.

It's quite common for home brewers to dispence directly from primary are secondary fermenter with just a little top up of CO2 to keep a serving pressure.
Most of the year I need to keep the beer warm rather than cooling it. Apart from the hight of summer on good days room temperate is around 15 to 18°C so I just keep my keg in a cooler part of the back room.

Talking about add water beer a friend was bought a beer machine for his birthday and asked me to do it because it was to complicated. The last one he did was a boil in the bag type thing. Literally add 20 litres of warm water, add yeast and put the top on. 2 weeks later open the tap and beer flows. The malt is already in the bag so you don't even need to add that and it is pre sanitised.
The beer machine took me longer to assemble than it was to do the beer. 10 days later and it's supposed to be drinkable. I'll give it back to him and he can drink it.
Supposedly to can make 3 batches or more by just topping up the malt and water and wait another 3 days.

I almost started dry heaving when I saw that in the video.

Multiple vendors in the states supply "No-boil" kits. Anytime you see "Pre-hopped" extract you could no boil that with water and pitch your yeast.

I wouldn't go that way personally as I like the process and recipe creation, but I imagine it does make drinkable beer. If I'm hunting for a cheap pint it would do the job.

Multiple vendors in the states supply "No-boil" kits. Anytime you see "Pre-hopped" extract you could no boil that with water and pitch your yeast.

Yes, that's exactly what I started with two years ago - a pre-hopped Coopers kit. Except, I always used distilled water, which is sanitized, lacks chlorine, and, most importantly, not straight from the friggin' tap. :D

Yes, that's exactly what I started with two years ago - a pre-hopped Coopers kit. Except, I always used distilled water, which is sanitized, lacks chlorine, and, most importantly, not straight from the friggin' tap. :D

You'd be amazed at just how bad most American tap water is compared to some other countries.

I keep fish. When in the UK I could put fish straight into the tap water no problem (Although still pretty stupid without testing it first)

I tried that when I arrived in the US it killed them within 5 minutes. That was even stupider considering the paint stripping qualities of the water in my location.

Honestly, the tap water I have come across so far in America is really fooking bad.

I would compare the tap water from southern England to the water I get after it has passed through the filter in my fridge. Northern English tap water is better than that.

They are called pressure brewing barrels

pressure brewing barrels - Google Images

king-keg-homebrew-barrel-t1.jpg

US tap water is definitely bad in many areas. The focus is on killing everything and to heck with the flavor. I've lived in places where the water was red with iron and others where your pipes had a layer of calcium plated on the inside. My local supply is purer than most distilled water, but in town the water is undrinkable. I think they filter it through pine bark.

Just finished a pint of an Abili Red Mild clone served at 15C and just enough pressure to make it to the tap. Maybe if I get rich some day, I'll get a beer engine.

Amount of chlorination in drinking water by country is also indirectly related to number of cases of sickness from drinking water.

Barrels

Looks like you would rack the beer to this plastic keg after fermenting and then screw the lid on and the CO2 cartridge. If you had space in a cool cellar or fridge for it, it might work fairly nicely.

I do not think I would go for the counter top room temperature style though.

Amount of chlorination in drinking water by country is also indirectly related to number of cases of sickness from drinking water.

Well, I gues that's an issue for another thread about whether the water is the US is generally highly over chlorinated or not. I live in the town that gave the world the Norwalk Virus, so maybe they go even more over the top here than other places. Over chlorination is just bad water management IMO though.

My point was that the water they are using in that video is a heck of a lot different to the tap water here, riddled with bacteria or not. ;)

I think it's Coopers way of "brewing". You add some boiling water to the LME, top it off with cold water, add some sugar, sprinkle dry yeast and you done. That's what they call a "kit" in Europe: a can of LME plus a pocket of dry yeast. No speciality grains, no nothing.
I tried it once and it was TRULLY disgusting.

Actually it TRULY makes a consistently good beer. I have won awards with those beer kits.

I know from my experience in England the beers they make partially carbonated, at celler temp, or served right out of the fermenter can be and typically is good stuff. Last summer I went to the Cambridge Beer Festival and every bit of their beer was unrefridgerated, partially carbonated, and friggin amazing. I think there was a micro brewery named Moonshine that we just loved! Don't forget the British have been brewing Ales for as long as you can remember. I'm not so sure about the LME, but I guess it might make a drinkable brew. It's just really not for me though.

I need one of those fermenters!!!!

I think they are beer dispensers for a cask home brew.
They call them "King Keg Barrel", they are 25 Liters, so about 6.5 gal. You screw a little CO2 bottle on the top to help you with the serving pressure. It's probably enough pressure for English ales.
King Keg on youtube:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back