Brewing a little IPA today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
So I am mashing in a small IPA right now. I want an IPA on tap, but I am tired of it sneaking up on me and kicking my a$$ after two pints. I am still working out the hop schedule, but here we go.

Old 56er IPA

10 Gallon

OG 1.056 / FG 1.014 / IBU 56 / SRM 7

21 lbs British Two Row
3 lbs Rye
.5 lb Crystal 40L

1 oz Centennial FWH
1 oz Centennial 60 min
1 oz Centennial 20 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min
2 oz Cascade 10 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min EDIT: Changed this to a Cascade addition

.5 oz Centennial Dry Hop
1 oz Cascade Dry Hop

Yeast from a local Brewery (002, S-04, Fullers strain)

153-154 Mash for 60 min, 60 min boil, 68* pitch temp, 62* ferment for two weeks and then a week of dry hopping.

Almost to the 20 minute addition. Sticking with the recipe above. Smells good, looks nice and light in color, I am excited.

If it were me I'd go a touch lower on the IBU but I'm just not a fan of super bitter beers. That recipe looks quite a bit like the Pale Ale I just tapped into and I can't keep my hands off it. Looks super tasty!

Someone like their hops. :D

What efficience do you get? BeerSmith gives me a higher gravity and bitterness with this recipe. Looks good though. You must be all cleaned up and drinking by now.

Looks good to me. I made something very similar recently, but I used US 2-row and US-05 yeast. I also had my IBU up around 65 though :)

I finished up and was happy with the outcome, it was right at 14.2% plato (1.057). I actually changed the last addition of hops to more Cascade, as there was enough Centennial in there. There will be just shy of a 1lb in there at the end. This is the most hops that I have added and I did it to test out the schedule for other recipes later. I also haven't made one this bitter yet, at 1:1 or so. Typically prior to a dry hop I go for about a OG 1.070 to an IBU of 50, but I figured what the hell, let's try this.

Also, since I FWH and did a bunch of late addition hops, I think that the hoppy flavor and aroma will be there and not just bitterness that kills your mouth. Like half the beer that I normally do :D Figure that if thiis will showcase the hops vs. malt flavor.

Ended up with about 11 gallons into the fermenter, so I should end up with two perfect kegs after dry hopping and loss to trub.

Just checked the fermenter and it is looking good. It is going a little slow and sitting at 64*, but I am not worried yet. This is the first time I am using washed yeast, so wish me luck! Has anyone else ever made an IPA with this kind of lower gravity?

Well, I just pulled a sample:
1.012 @ 5.64%, did its thing and all is well. I will leave it till next friday and then dry hop for a week. It tasted very balanced in the sample I tried, great malt and the bitter isn't overwhelming. Lovely light color as well.

I just dry hopped this yesterday, with some Cascade and Centennial. Looking good and I am thinking I will keg this guy up next weekend and tap it soon after. I just have to finish up my keg of Honey Pale Ale that is taking up space in my beer fridge. Here are some pics of the HPA.

photo-774927.jpg
photo-723170.jpg

sounds like a good beer and i like the name! one of my IPA's is a "60" -- 1.060, 60 IBUs, 6.0% ABV....still need a clever name for it.

Back