Blow off or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
5 gallons
6.6 lbs wheat muntos lme
orange peel
coriander
irish moss
muntons ale yeist

Will this ferment smoothly or violently?
thanks
timg

I just wont have the time to remove it in the next few days....

You don't need to remove it if it is sealed well. I do it for all my batches so I don't worry about a mess or blown airlock.They sit for well over a week or more. It's just a big airlock. You have a carboy or bucket?

I primary in a pail and secondary in glass. but being wheat I'll only primary...
so to answer.. a pail
hehe

I have noticed several instances of incomplete fermentations with Munton's yeast. If you have 2 packets I would use it as the 6 gram packs seem a bit small.

Good luck with your brew as I am drinking a wit presently. Are you going to use fresh orange zest?

Cad i toss another pack in a day?
It's just seems to be something I noticed but your fermentation could be just fine.

It's always nice to have a few extra dry yeasts around for unexpected problems and it will keep a long time in the frig.

It's just seems to be something I noticed but your fermentation could be just fine.

It's always nice to have a few extra dry yeasts around for unexpected problems and it will keep a long time in the frig.

True, I work close to a sparsely supplied brewshop.. they have 'most' things one might need. Woul dit hurt to pop the top and add a second packet monday afternoon (today being sunday)...
timg

True, I work close to a sparsely supplied brewshop.. they have 'most' things one might need. Would it hurt to pop the top and add a second packet Monday afternoon (today being Sunday)...
timg
If it was really actively fermenting then I would wait it out.

There are quite a few variables to consider

Temperature can have an effect on fermentation activity.

Health of the yeast.

Also, what size of fermenter are you using?

If it's a 5.5 gallon pail, then a blowoff time is probably required.

If it's a 7 gallon pail you *should* be ok.

I put one on... the first time I ever thought I might have to.....
I have a 7gallon pail and a 5 gallon glass carboy. so I guess I should have been OK?
I'll let her cook and see.
thanks

timg

Yes I DID indeed need one.. yeist pitched at 79 -81 and It started within the hour.. and I was glad to use the blow-off.. (for the first time too).
timg

Back