My soda tastes like baby poop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT72884

Reaction score
So i tried my first batch of soda. I followed this recipe bellow

1.5 oz grated ginger
.25 oz hops
1.75 cups sugar
4 qrts water
1/8th tsp ale yeast

I added the ginger, sugar and hops to 2 qrts simmering water. let simmer for 20 min uncovered. took off of heat and let cool for 30 min covered. once cooled, i added 2 qrts cold water and added yeast like instructions say to. brought to luke warm. bottled into sanitized 2litter plastic bottles. However, the temps may have been to high and might have killed the yeast so i added a very small amount to each bottle. i put into a room to let carb up. put them in the fridge this morning and opened one up tonight. had lots of fiz BUT tasted like baby poop. like almost rotten, as in the fermentation fermented more than it should have. haha or it could be the fact that i have never tasted beer so i have no idea what hops are supposed to taste like. maybe this tastes normal. Any ideas would be nice though.

thanks

Reminded me of something funny I saw:

12 - 1 (1).jpg

Just wondering how you know what baby poop tast like.........reminds me of an old Cheech and Chong bit

So i tried my first batch of soda. I followed this recipe bellow

1.5 oz grated ginger
.25 oz hops
1.75 cups sugar
4 qrts water
1/8th tsp ale yeast

I added the ginger, sugar and hops to 2 qrts simmering water. let simmer for 20 min uncovered. took off of heat and let cool for 30 min covered. once cooled, i added 2 qrts cold water and added yeast like instructions say to. brought to luke warm. bottled into sanitized 2litter plastic bottles. However, the temps may have been to high and might have killed the yeast so i added a very small amount to each bottle. i put into a room to let carb up. put them in the fridge this morning and opened one up tonight. had lots of fiz BUT tasted like baby poop. like almost rotten, as in the fermentation fermented more than it should have. haha or it could be the fact that i have never tasted beer so i have no idea what hops are supposed to taste like. maybe this tastes normal. Any ideas would be nice though.

thanks

You are aware that homemade soda/root beer has a little bit of alcohol in it, right? Just curious if you knew...

Anyways, where did you come up with adding hops to soda? Sounds pretty unique. May want to see about finding a tried and true soda/root beer recipe and then tweaking it from there.

Good luck, let us know how your next attempt turns out!

You are aware that homemade soda/root beer has a little bit of alcohol in it, right? Just curious if you knew...

Anyways, where did you come up with adding hops to soda? Sounds pretty unique. May want to see about finding a tried and true soda/root beer recipe and then tweaking it from there.

Good luck, let us know how your next attempt turns out!

yeah im aware its got some alcohol in it but its a very low amount. The hops came from this book

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580170528/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

LOL, baby poop because after changing many diepers, it smelled pretty dang close. And sometimes what it smells like is what it tastes like. haha.

I am going to try a basic basic ginger ale form the book and also alton brown using ale yeast. haha.

thanks guys. haha

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounded like an infection because of your description, but it must be the hope addition. Did you smell the hops before you added them?

Back